GZ does not know what is 2nd namecheck?

I sent my first email to GZ and received my response in less than an hour. We returned P3 to GZ over two months ago(9/3/04), so I thought I would inquire about the 2nd namecheck.

My questions to GZ:

1)Has the second name check been completed on my fiancee?

2)If yes, what date was the second name check completed?

3)If yes, what is the most likely month for my fiancee to have an interview?

I thank you very much for your kind assistance to this matter.

GZ response:

Dear Petitioner,

Thank you for your e-mail.

We have completed all the namecheck for your fiancee's case. We do not know what is the second namecheck. Due to our heavy work load, we can not predict when we can schedule an interview date for her. Please wait for our notice.

Best regards,

Immigrant Visa Unit

My guess would be that the person answering your question isn't aware of any previous namechecks (the first at NVC?). Only the one done while the case is at the consulate. Another example of how the process lacks transparancy.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Call DOS and see how they answer the same questions, but the fact that GZ says you are not waiting for any namechecks is a large positive!!!

Hi John

Sounds to me like they got someone new (of Chinese origin, based on the sentence structure) to answer e-mails.

I've written twice and asked specific questions, but only got standard canned responces.

It is good news (they did say "that they have completed all the name check"), but your best bet now is to call DOS and verify that the 2nd name check has been completed.

Wait and CHEETOS!

:)

DOS probably wouldn't give u an answer either. Most time they simply

read whatever on their screens, and they are even worse on the dates.

On the day before I got my fiancee's interview date, I called them,

they told me the same story that it's probably in 2-3 months to get P4.

Then the second day, I called again, I was told we got a date.

So, my experience are

1. wait paitently and don't get too frustrated by GZ or DOS.

2. call DOS weekly, or if u see someone around your p3 gets p4, call

DOS to check ur luck.

We have completed all the namecheck for your fiancee's case. We do not know what is the second namecheck.
My guess would be that the person answering your question isn't aware of any previous namechecks (the first at NVC?). Only the one done while the case is at the consulate. Another example of how the process lacks transparancy.

John, I received something similar when I e-mailed GZ a couple of weeks ago. My question was simply has the name check been completed. (I didn't inquire as to first or second, etc.) Their reply, which was sent within a day, was that the name check was completed in the US before GZ received it (they even provided the month). They didn't mention a second name check or anything else specific. They also gave me the same canned response that they could not estimate a date and would contact my fiancee closer to the interview date. I think it's possible that the PHRASE "2nd namecheck" may be a CFL or other Internet visa board creation. That is, they may be performing a second background check in Guangzhou, but may call it something else. Since the person answering e-mail in Guangzhou is obviously not a native English speaker, he or she may not be able to figure out how to answer our questions unless we use the correct terminology. Or, it's possible that sometimes the U.S. background checks are sufficient.

I asked on here whether anyone knew whether there were ALWAYS second name checks. No one knew anything definitively, but some people had some information relating to expiration periods on name checks. They suggested I call DOS, but I haven't had a chance yet. If you call, please let us know what they say. I'll do the same.

Dear petitioner,

Thanks for your email. We have been awaiting a response from the U.S.

authorities regarding Mr. XX's clearance. Please be assured that his case

is on track and we will schedule him for an interview once we receive the

response.

I think this e-mail from GZ will shed some light into this subject. our cases definitely go through a clearance in the US.

Maybe the expiration date mentioned before has to do with the FBI's statement at their website that 98% of the cases are resolved within 120 days, however, I've heard that there is more than one agency performing the name check. Nobody knows for sure how this is done, so there are no definite answers to our questions. I think the longest wait for any Candle member was Clifford's, if I'm right it took around 7.5 months. I keep praying for ours to take fewer time.

For the sake of clarity (not that it will likely bring any ... but maybe for the sake of fun?), I'll post the e-mail I received from Guangzhou:

Dear Petitioner,

Thank you for your e-mail.

Youe fiancee's namecheck has been completed in U.S. on Aug 2004.

If you intend to respond to this email, please again use the web form at www.usembassy-china.org.cn/guangzhou/iv/email.html. You cannot respond directly to this email by using the "reply" function, as this email address is not a receiving address. Please only use the web form to email the IV section. Thank you for your cooperation.

Best regards,

Immigrant Visa Unit

You'll note that this says that the namecheck was completed before Guangzhou received our application, so whether there is something required later on for every application is still unclear.

Perhaps some day we will discover the great mystery of "THE SECOND NAME CHECK" :unsure:

After taking a look at some old CFL threads, I have noticed that some staff at GZ and DOS have indicated a lack of knowledge or lack of existence of a "second name check." Other CFL members have received information from GZ or DOS that there is not only a second name check, but they were told how long it normally takes. Go figure! Seems like both places need to train their staff better. I have communicated with both places, and neither were able to communicate anything about a second name check requirement for my fiancee.

I have been moving through this process at a fairly quick pace, so I have no complaints. I have been told that all name checks are complete, so I will no longer be concerned about the dreaded "second name check." After looking at many timelines, I am projecting a P4 for January or February, and an interview in February or March. If that doesn't happen, then I will begin to worry.