What is a "Slam Dunk?"

Guest Fionas_Fiance

Guest Fionas_Fiance

I have never seen anyone have any problem, or even be asked more than a couple of questions, if they have all of the following Big Three items:

1. Proof of multiple visits by petitioner

2. Tons of pictures of the couple together, and with beneficiary's family & friends

3. Proof of frequent and regular calls, preferably logs from a phone company with both caller & callee numbers.

I have NEVER seen anyone have a problem if they had all three. Has anyone else?

For people who have less than all three, it is still very possible to get a VISA, but they may start asking the SO more questions. If you don't have any of these three the CO is likely to ask a lot of questions, and this can be dangerous because your SO may get nervous and forget the name of her own mother, let alone the name of your mother!

My feeling is that if a "Slam Dunk" list of things to bring can be determined, it would be a good public service to post it somewhere, so people don't find out about it until it is too late.

There is always the BABY thing.....

It takes about 9 months to finish up so you could potentially have one before the interview :D

The infant gets a US Passport.

---- Clifford -----

P.S. Truthfully, I wouldn't consider having a wife or fiancee pregant without spending the time with her while she is pregnant, and while she is at the hospital having the baby.

Yes, your list looks good. Pictures, more than one trip to China, and phone and correspondence records.

I would also add "Evidence of a common language". If your wife or fiancee speaks poor English, it wouldn't hurt to help her enroll in an English class. If you have something written demonstrating a proficiency in Chinese (college transcripts or????), it might be helpful. Or, make a tape of the two of you chatting. Leave it in the hotel, but have it ready in case GZ asks for it.

Guest Fionas_Fiance
Yes, your list looks good.  Pictures, more than one trip to China, and phone and correspondence records.  

I would also add "Evidence of a common language".  If your wife or fiancee speaks poor English, it wouldn't hurt to help her enroll in an English class.  If you have something written demonstrating a proficiency in Chinese (college transcripts or????), it might be helpful.  Or, make a tape of the two of you chatting.  Leave it in the hotel, but have it ready in case GZ asks for it.

In light of the latest known setback, good point!

How about:

1. Multiple visits

2. tons of photos

3. proof of frequent phone calls

[4]. If communication in question, make tape of the two of you communicating.

I think the only way there would be a Guaranteed Slam Dunk is if the other team is not on the court and they stop randomly moving the basket. Your list of basic things to have is good, but the main reason I visit this site daily is to find out when they move the basket, not accepting phone cards as proof anymore, wanting original divorce papers, not letting her bring in proof of evidence because it is in a bag that is not clear, vhs tape of communication, and not even looking at the basic evidence, When I first came here most of the people that went for the interview did so when it was convenient, now it is planned and anyone who does not go is because they absolutly can not make it.

My fear is getting to comfortable with how things "should go", then they change the rules and If your not paying attention something that would be very easily taken care of before you go turns into a nightmare because your 8,000 miles away. Such as wanting original divorce papers, before you go may that would take a half a day down at the court house and you have them in your hand. Imagine yourself, it is Friday and you are standing in front of the embassy in Guangzhou with a blue slip in your hand asking for original divorce papers and you have one week vaction time left and have to go back, well nothing is going to start happening until Monday, find someone who has the time to get them for you, will they accept a Fax? Maybe .....Maybe not, next day air to Guangzhou..three to five days??

My theory, there is no such thing as a "Guaranteed Slam Dunk " listen to everyones story and what happened to them, put those things on your list to be prepared for and go for it. If you happen to take the kitchen sink and they did not ask for it , well allright, but if they do and you don't have it.....Like we used to say when I was flying helicopters in the Coast Guard One Oh Shit! is worth 1,000 Mayday's

I have noticed also the last few blue slips reported have been from people that are new here and maybe not privy to the things that Guangzhou is doing........So I think one of the best and basic things to do is listen, learn and go prepared for anything.

If you have submitted all the evidence required by the K1 or K3 petition, the only thing I have seen come up at the interview is ability to communicate.

If your fiancee cannot understand or answer a few simple questions in english. Such as:

" Where does your fiance live?"

" how many children does he have?"

" Why do you want to go to the US?'

All the blue slips I have heard about are for not submitting the required informatiom, or not being able to communicate.

One visit is sufficient

pictures are required, but if submitted with the petition, not usually asked for at the interview.

phone logs can be submitted with the application, but are not needed at the interview.

The interview is just that, an interview, face to face with your fiancee. The interviewers are well trained, and have probably been through an intensive course of training in how to conduct interviews.

Think of it like a job interview. If you can't remember the college you went to or the name of the last company you worked for. What are your chances of getting the job?

What i'm trying to say here is that your fiancee learn enough spoken english to be able to understand simple questions and be able to answer them. Talk to your fiancee twice a week or more, speak english and correct her pronounciation and syntax.

She should at least know your first name, not your nickname, and how to pronounce it and recognize it when spoken to her.

This is all basic, but very important at the interview.

jimb

My fear is getting to comfortable with how things "should go", then they change the rules and If your not paying attention something that would be very easily taken care of before you go turns into a nightmare because your 8,000 miles away. Such as wanting original divorce papers, before you go may that would take a half a day down at the court house and you have them in your hand. Imagine yourself, it is Friday and you are standing in front of the embassy in Guangzhou with a blue slip in your hand asking for original divorce papers and you have one week vaction time left and have to go back, well nothing is going to start happening until Monday, find someone who has the time to get them for you, will they accept a Fax? Maybe .....Maybe not, next day air to Guangzhou..three to five days??

My theory, there is no such thing as a "Guaranteed Slam Dunk " listen to everyones story and what happened to them, put those things on your list to be prepared for and go for it. If you happen to take the kitchen sink and they did not ask for it , well allright, but if they do and you don't have it.....Like we used to say when I was flying helicopters in the Coast Guard One Oh Shit! is worth 1,000 Mayday's

Totally agreed. New things keep poping up. I am trying to get everything

i can, but still "what if..." haunts me all the time.

What about w-2? 001 site posted that someone is required to provide it as part of "more document list".

It's a great idea to visit this site daily. I think also it's good to ask ur

love one to visit 001 site daily. It posts detailed (step by step) "homeworks" on interview experience.

/Wade

Also, make sure you have the I-134 done right with tax return, W2, and evidence of employment. If you make less than the 125% poverty level, make sure you have a co-sponsor.

Edited by ttlee_99 - Nov 21 2004, 09:48 PM

For my I-134 I only submitted a copy of a letter from the VA stating the amount of my veterans pension. It was not enough to meet the poverty level so I also submitted a Realtor's evaluation of my house.

The real estate agent did a great job, about 8 pages with pictures and in a nice folder. And for free.

jimb

Oops I forgot.

I added a copy of my checking account balance (about $19,000) and my IRA report from Janus. $24,000 down from over $100,000 four years ago. I hope I live long enough for it to get back to that level. maybe i should take it and invest in real estate in China.

jimb

Guest Fionas_Fiance
If you have submitted all the evidence required by the K1 or K3 petition,  the only thing I have seen come up at the interview is ability to communicate.

Well, sort of. They are looking for proof of ongoing relationship, and that includes the ability to communicate.

There are cases of fraud where the Chinese beneficiary pays the American petitioner to marry. Just showing "Communication" does not rule out this form of fraud in the eyes of the CO. You have to show RELATIONSHIP.

I think "The Big Three" show relationship very convincely, and if you have all three (plus a video if language is an issue) then you are unlikely to go into the interview with any red flags. If you don't, I think you're just rolling the dice and hoping it will all work out for the best.

Guest Fionas_Fiance
I think the only way there would be a Guaranteed Slam Dunk is if the other team is not on the court and they stop randomly moving the basket. Your list of basic things to have is good, but the main reason I visit this site daily is to find out when they move the basket, not accepting phone cards as proof anymore, wanting original divorce papers, not letting her bring in proof of evidence because it is in a bag that is not clear, vhs tape of communication, and not even looking at the basic evidence, When I first came here most of the people that went for the interview did so when it was convenient, now it is planned and anyone who does not go is because they absolutly can not make it.

I have noticed also the last few blue slips reported have been from people that are new here and maybe not privy to the things that Guangzhou is doing........So I think one of the best and basic things to do is listen, learn and go prepared for anything.

Remember, the original topic is "what is a slam dunk" with regard to showing relationships. Your point about divorce papers is well taken, but off-topic. So is somebody else's take on w-2s. I'm not suggesting we can solve all problems related to getting a VISA. I'm only talking about "proof of ongoing relationship."

I think a Slam Dunk requires giving the CO objective proof that is difficult to dispute, and dispels the CO's concerns for fraud. There are two kinds of fraud the CO is worried about:

1) two-party fraud (Chinese beneficiary pays American petitioner)

2) one-party fraud (Chinese beneficiary is "pretending" affection)

Making multiple trips is strong evidence against two-party fraud because if the American is being paid, making multiple trips cuts into profits. Plus the Chinese beneficiary probably doesn't want to see him more than necessary. So it's also evidence against one-party fraud.

Taking tons of pictures, particularly with family and friends, is evidence against both kinds of fraud, because if it were fraud, the family and friends probably would be nervous about being in the picture. And if you have pictures from many different locations, it demonstrates an amount of "work" that would probably be unusual in most fraud cases.

Logs of regular phone calls that show both calling and callee phone number helps dispute "one-party" fraud because again, it shows a lot of work on the part of the beneficiary.

People repeatedly complain here about how arbitrary the rules are and that they think the rules are constantly changing. There may be some merit in the latter assertion, because if the fraud COMMITTERS latch onto an effective strategy, they will be sure to replicate it in mass. Americans paid by Chinese for marriage get tens of thousands of dollars. If calling cards are adequate proof, then buying some calling cards is just a good investment, if you are running a scam.

I think the easiest way to show "not fraud" is to put a level of effort into one's relationship that would not be duplicated in a fraud case. That's easy for a CO to understand.

What good is a "Slam Dunk" for part of what is needed? Yes proof of an ongoing relationship is a big part of the puzzel and needs to be presented, along with a "Slam Dunk" of proof that you can legaly marry, a "Slam Dunk" of proof that you can support your family. The ultimate goal here is a Visa. In your original post you stated that you had never heard of any one being denied, having those three things, well they had to have all of he other things also and they are just as important to reach the ultimate goal..........A Visa

Guest Fionas_Fiance
What good is a "Slam Dunk" for part of what is needed? Yes proof of an ongoing  relationship is a big part of the puzzel and needs to be presented, along with a "Slam Dunk"  of proof that you can legaly marry, a "Slam Dunk" of proof that you can support your family. The ultimate goal here is a Visa. In your original post you stated that you had never heard of any one being denied, having those three things, well they had to have all of he other things also and they are just as important to reach the ultimate goal..........A Visa

The full topic is "What is a 'Slam Dunk' for proof of relationship?" I was speaking in that context. Sorry if it wasn't clear.

I'm not saying the other stuff isn't important. But I think the other stuff is generally more straightforward and objective. People seem to be most disappointed/upset when they are surprised by a blue slip related to proving relationship. "How can they say we don't have a valid relationship!?!?!" Just trying to help somebody avoid that feeling.

If you have submitted all the evidence required by the K1 or K3 petition,  the only thing I have seen come up at the interview is ability to communicate.

If your fiancee cannot understand or answer a few simple questions in english.  Such as:

" Where does your fiance live?"

"  how many children does he have?"

" Why do you want to go to the US?'

All the blue slips I have heard about  are for not submitting the required informatiom,  or not being able to communicate.

One visit is sufficient

pictures are required, but if submitted with the petition, not usually asked for at the interview.

phone logs can be submitted with the application, but are not needed at the interview.

The interview is just that, an interview, face to face with your fiancee.  The interviewers are well trained, and have probably been through an intensive course of training in how to conduct interviews.

Think of it like a job interview. If you can't remember  the college you went to or the name of the last company you worked for.  What are your chances of getting the job?

What i'm trying to say here is that your fiancee learn enough spoken english to be able to understand simple questions and be able to answer them. Talk to your fiancee twice a week or more, speak english and correct her pronounciation and syntax. 

She should at least know your first name,  not your nickname, and how to pronounce it and recognize it when spoken to her.

This is all basic, but very important at the interview.

jimb

jimb: I think you make a VERY good point.

It has been said before that the VO has already seen the paperwork and pretty much decided your outcome. If the paperwork is deficient, you will get questions about it or a blue slip.

The main point of the interview is to meet face to face and see if she really does have some basic knowledge of you, the kind that she would know if you have been corresponding.

Just my humble opinion . . . .