What is a "Slam Dunk?"

Guest Fionas_Fiance

I agree with the "big ones" listed here. But remember, there is no such thing as a "slam dunk" some of the rules are left vague for a reason, if they have any suspicion whatsoever, they can always throw a curve. This doesn't seem fair, but if there were a "foolproof formula" then all the frauds would learn it and exploit it.

It's an imperfect system, I know. But that's the deal I think.

Guest Fionas_Fiance
I agree with the "big ones" listed here.  But remember, there is no such thing as a "slam dunk"  some of the rules are left vague for a reason, if they have any suspicion whatsoever, they can always throw a curve.  This doesn't seem fair, but if there were a "foolproof formula" then all the frauds would learn it and exploit it.

It's true that the CO is always going to be on the watch for "formulaic" evidence. If the people committing fraud think they have a good formula, eventually the consulate will get wind of it and change the formula.

HOWEVER the one formula that the fraudulent people will never be able to duplicate is EFFORT. Someone who is committing fraud is not going to put in the countless hours of communication those of us with valid relationships put in. So my suspicion is that this is one of the first things COs look for. If you can show "countless hours of communication" then I think the CO will just ask a couple of simple questions and not even think about contesting relationship. Sure they may find something else to complain about if you have a problem on some form. But they won't give you a blue slip for "insufficient proof of relationship" when you actually have a valid relationship.

Some people have been very naive about the evidence they have submitted. For example, I've seen lots of posts saying "bring copies of love letters," but I would guess that love letters are almost meaningless as evidence because they are so easily copied and faked.

I just hope in the future more people will use their head and try to see things from the CO's perspective.

Guest Fionas_Fiance
If you have submitted all the evidence required by the K1 or K3 petition,  the only thing I have seen come up at the interview is ability to communicate.

If your fiancee cannot understand or answer a few simple questions in english.  Such as:

" Where does your fiance live?"

"  how many children does he have?"

" Why do you want to go to the US?'

All the blue slips I have heard about  are for not submitting the required informatiom,  or not being able to communicate.

One visit is sufficient

pictures are required, but if submitted with the petition, not usually asked for at the interview.

phone logs can be submitted with the application, but are not needed at the interview.

The interview is just that, an interview, face to face with your fiancee.  The interviewers are well trained, and have probably been through an intensive course of training in how to conduct interviews.

Think of it like a job interview.   If you can't remember  the college you went to or the name of the last company you worked for.  What are your chances of getting the job?

What i'm trying to say here is that your fiancee learn enough spoken english to be able to understand simple questions and be able to answer them.   Talk to your fiancee twice a week or more, speak english and correct her pronounciation and syntax.  

She should at least know your first name,  not your nickname, and how to pronounce it and recognize it when spoken to her.

This is all basic, but very important at the interview.

jimb

jimb: I think you make a VERY good point.

It has been said before that the VO has already seen the paperwork and pretty much decided your outcome. If the paperwork is deficient, you will get questions about it or a blue slip.

The main point of the interview is to meet face to face and see if she really does have some basic knowledge of you, the kind that she would know if you have been corresponding.

Just my humble opinion . . . .

The main point of the interview is to eliminate, from the CO's mind, two possible concerns of fraud:

1. two-way fraud (Chinese person pays American person)

2. one-way fraud (Chinese person dupes American person)

If you can teach your Chinese fiance or spouse good enough English that she can confidently answer ANY question, then sure, you don't need as much proof. If your SO knows everything about you and is fluent in English, I suppose that is another way of getting a "Slam Dunk" on proof of relationship. HOWEVER, if your fiance or spouse is not completely confident with her English, you'd better make sure she doesn't accidentally fall into a fraud profile. If she does, the CO may grill her and she may get very nervous and forget all of her English! Her nervousness may just make the CO think he or she is on to something. And sometimes the questions that get thrown out can be pretty unreasonable. For instance, one of the lists of questions asked in interviews had this question: "what is the first name of your fiance's mother?" :(

I actually started teaching Fiona all kinds of bizarre information about myself and my family (including my mother's first name) until I started noticing that for everybody who has overwhelming proof of sustained communication, the CO only seems to ask a couple of routine questions. Fiona is fluent in English so I'm not worried about her being able to think on her feet, but I still have been assembling "slam dunk" evidence just because I want her to have an easy interview. I want the experience to be as pleasant as possible for her. I don't want her to go in there feeling the weight of the world on her shoulders to answer the questions right.

I started thinking about what the CO would want to see and I thought if I was a CO, the one thing that would convince me easily would be clear evidence of the kind of sustained EFFORT that fraudulent people wouldn't put forth. IF someone showed me proof of multiple trips, tons of pictures in different locations with family and friends, and phone logs showing consistent and regular communication, I don't think I'd even question their relationship, unless the petitioner had major troubles with English. In that case I'd want to understand how they communicate, but even then I'd probably ask the question nicely. If she had a tape showing them communicating I wouldn't want to waste any more time on that topic.

Speaking of which, I don't have much more to say on this topic beyond what I've already said. I believe a "Slam Dunk" on proof of relationship is possible, I've identified what it is, and explained why. People can take it or leave it.

I actually started teaching Fiona all kinds of bizarre information about myself and my family (including my mother's first name) until I started noticing that for everybody who has overwhelming proof of sustained communication, the CO only seems to ask a couple of routine questions. Fiona is fluent in English so I'm not worried about her being able to think on her feet, but I still have been assembling "slam dunk" evidence just because I want her to have an easy interview. I want the experience to be as pleasant as possible for her. I don't want her to go in there feeling the weight of the world on her shoulders to answer the questions right.

I think you hit it on the head "Fionas_Fiance".

I have also been teaching my fiancee every imaginable thing about me; not because I think those types of things will be asked of her, but because it has so many multiple benefits.

First, it gives her much more confidence when she goes into the interview. This is the main consideration.

Next, we have gone over this information so many times in practice that she is less likely to forget it if she becomes nervous in the event she is asked some off the wall question like my mother's first name, or my brother's children's names.

Next, (and quite important in most people's case), is that it helps her to understand English and the way the questions might be asked, what the words sound like, and how to answer them properly. We have found that the time spent going over the 95 questions (plus more) has been instrumental and very beneficial for her English practice.

Finally, my fiancee genuinely has an interest to know everything about me, and therefore it is easier for her to remember these things.

-jim and ningning

The best guarantee of a slam dunk is for the VO to be easily able to see that the lady really loves her man.

This is without a doubt the one part of the puzzle we are all searching for and at times escapes us all. The reason is exactly why we also think the rules change. The rules do not really change, they are vague and left that way for a very good reason. It will give the VO the lattitude to deleve into the question of visa fraud at any time she/he suspects any wrong doing. I think the best advise you can give your fiancee or wife for the interview is talk directly to the VO as you would a co-worker friend and talk from your heart. It is easy to talk about love, but when you hear someone talk about their lover, you just know. This is the part that is hard to fake.

As one who has already brought two Chinese girls through the visa process at Guangzhou, I have some educated opinions about how to create a "slam-dunk" evidence portfolio.....

..... but it would be really STUPID to offer those suggestions BEFORE the the third (and trust me: FINAL "China Girl" visa..) ..... can't think of anything more embarasing than to offer my ideas now, and then have my Fei pull a blue slip ....

........If all goes well, I'll have some thoughts after ... about Dec. 10...... :)