Customs & Checklist

Hello,

I am assuming that the customs check K1 visa entries more carefully than us American citizens in the airport. Can anyone shed some light on the process

that your fiance went through at immigration.

Anything besides the passport, visa (with package) and ID that she needs to bring?

What is the limit for jewelry and valuables that can be brought (not as gifts) and not taxed?

I understand that for cash it is US$5000.00

Thanks,

California (Vaughn)

:(

I'm no customs expert, but we both went thru Customs together (at Portland, Oregon) and I can say that it was super easy. I've done a lot of international traveling and our Customs experience was the same as any other one that I've had in the past. There was no extra troubles or hassles due to it being her first arrival in America.

But I've heard stories of other people getting a shake down while going thru Customs. I guess its a random thing?

As far as I know, one can bring in up to $10,000 USD cash without filling out any paperwork. For more than that, you (she?) have to fill out some declaration form. Fairly simple actually. But I'm no expert, go to the Customs website and check up to be sure!

Oh, yes, I think that's all she needs upon enrty. Her passport, visa, and P4 paperwork. The Consulate instructions say it's VERY important to put her x-ray tube into your CARRY-ON luggage (not your checked luggage). So we did that but when we got up to the Immigration Officer, he said he didn't need the x-ray and so we still have it now :(

My wife had a hard time with customs at Detroit. She was held at Detroit for six hours!. missing her connection. She finally arrived on the next flight to Greensboro. She explained that the customs agent was an old man and when he looked at her passport and K-3 visa he questioned it! She said that he asked other agents what is a K-3 visa! but what really held her up was that the paperwork/interview and visa date was three days different. That was because of the blue slip. Because of that, customs kept her held up for six hours. While she was sitting in the office, she tells me that there was an elderly Chinese couple who was also held up and they couldn't speak a word of english. So my wife helped them as translator. My wife said that the couple was very upset over their delay and were fussing at the agents in Chinese!...{good for them!... ;)}

Anyways, yet another unexpected 'snag'. You kind of get used them after awhile!...lol

As far as money, yes; $10,000 is the limit before you have to claim it. Trying to get thru customs without claiming it can really cost you...like, all your money!.... There is a simple form to fill out. I asked the agent about it. He said that it is their way of keeping track of any large amounts of money coming in and out of the airport by any one person or group, like drug money and such, or any other suspicious activities dealing with transport of such large sums of money.

I have a question for Poartland-Jim.

At PDX Immigration, did you go through Non-US passport line with your fiancee or US passport line with her? I'm getting close to bringing mine in a few weeks. My SO has limited English proficiency, so I worry immigration officer might give her difficult time.

About the X-ray negative, I understand why you shouldn't put it in the check-in lauggage, but carry-on bags also must go through a x-ray machine (?) at security check unless you hand carry it through a metal detector or visual check by security agent.

I've gotten caught up in a couple of airport customs "shakedowns". PDX confiscated my Cuban cigar after a trip to Mexico; also nabbed at Winnepeg, Canada for no work permit (I also got to be translator for a German couple who were on vacation- they got right thru, 2 hours later I got the book thrown at me!). Another time got car completely searched at Blaine,WA boarder crossing. Once after returning from Kamloops on a motorcycle rally, I had to pay border tax on some duty-free liquor I did not drink.

But, on my last pass thru SFO on the way back from China, I talked to some of the customs agents.

All my previous experiences aside, I do not foresee any problems. But then again...

Anyway, here is a possible link to Customs.

Customs Q&A