I-94 and ID Card

Hi All,

Need some help. My wife came here on a K1, we got married shortly thereafter. Filed the AOS according to Eric's AOS checklist (thanks, Eric!)

Applied for and received a Social Security card in her married name.

We went to get an ID card from the Florida DMV (you know, the ones that look like a Driver's License but are not for operating a vehicle). However, the people at the DMV would only issue a ID in her maiden name, even though we took her passport, the social security card (in married name), and marriage certificate.

They said we need to get a new I-94 in her married name. How are we supposed to get that?! I thought you only get an I-94 upon entering the US!

I really need to get her an ID in the married name so it matches her Social Security card .. anyone been through this before?

Thanks,

P.J.

Hi All,

Need some help.  My wife came here on a K1, we got married shortly thereafter.  Filed the AOS according to Eric's AOS checklist (thanks, Eric!)  

We went to get an ID card from the Florida DMV (you know, the ones that look like a Driver's License but are not for operating a vehicle).  However, the people at the DMV would only issue a ID in her maiden name, even though we took her passport, the social security card (in married name), and marriage certificate.  

They said we need to get a new I-94 in her married name.  How are we supposed to get that?!  I thought you only get an I-94 upon entering the US!  

I really need to get her an ID in the married name so it matches her Social Security card .. anyone been through this before?  

Thanks,

P.J.

It's a good thing these people work for the government, otherwise, they might have to think. :lol: Of course, you're right about the I-94, but I was wondering why not just get an EAD in her married name and use it instead of the state ID card. Is it because of the residence address that's not on the EAD?

Hi All,

Need some help.  My wife came here on a K1, we got married shortly thereafter.  Filed the AOS according to Eric's AOS checklist (thanks, Eric!) 

We went to get an ID card from the Florida DMV (you know, the ones that look like a Driver's License but are not for operating a vehicle).  However, the people at the DMV would only issue a ID in her maiden name, even though we took her passport, the social security card (in married name), and marriage certificate. 

They said we need to get a new I-94 in her married name.  How are we supposed to get that?!  I thought you only get an I-94 upon entering the US

Thanks,

P.J.

A good question.

I think that this is the easiest way:

1. go to the Chinese consulate

2. have them reissue her passport, in her new name

this will then supercede the I94 and force the government to re-issue a new (in the correct name) one upon your obtaining advanced parole.

This I guess would be faster than waiting for the green card to arrive.

Good luck!!! Please share with us if this idea works...

but I was wondering why not just get an EAD in her married name and use it instead of the state ID card.

1. The EAD probably won't come for a long time.

2. I believe the banks (at least mine) needs a State ID card, and one that matches the name on the Social Security card (I put her married name on this one).

I'd really rather not go to the Chinese consulate and get her passport reissued, I've never heard of anyone doing this and it sounds risky.

P.J.

I'd really rather not go to the Chinese consulate and get her passport reissued, I've never heard of anyone doing this and it sounds risky.

I know of a person at my university who did this. However, she is here on a F1 student visa. She and her Chinese boyfriend got married while here, and she changed one character in her name. At the Chinese consulate in NYC it took only about 1 week and 35$US for her to do it.

However, in your wife's case, I am not sure if this would be as easy to do, or if the consulate where you are has as many people that it deals with as the NYC consulate, so I can understand the dilemma.

Has anyone here tried?

What about for the long-timers? For those who's 5-year long Chinese passport must now be invalid. Even with a green-card, you still need to renew your passport. For those of you who have, how has this process worked for you? Or have you gone back to China to have the passport renewed?

Good Luck PJ and thanks for all of your informative posts all over this server. Many have really helped me a lot!!! :lol:

Actually,

I think that she *may* have to change her passport. The next time that she tries to use the passport to go anywhere, since the name change, if it has been legally done, will be known upon arrival in the host country (or by the issuing country if a visa is being obtained), it will have to be changed. I know that this is a pain, but it may be best to take care of it now.

Unfortunately everything relating to passports is in Chinese (which I can not read) on their website. However, I am sure that she can look through it to see if she needs to follow-up.

Good Luck!!

http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/hzqz/default.htm

Drifting OT a bit, but why the name change? My wife kept her name, as is the Chinese custom.

Not a criticism, as I know many wives have taken their husbands name. However, many have not.

I'm just a bit curious. I am fully aware that it would dishonor her father (in her culture). I never brought the subject up.

I think it is causing less issues, however it does "raise a few eyebrows".

Congrats PJ. I am fully aware of what you went through before and I wish you much happiness :lol:

First I have ever heard of this. We had no problem in Oregon. We only needed SSN some mail sent in her name, her passport and a marriage certificate. They could care less about I-94 or anything else. The main things they wanted were the SSN, marriage license and some other form of ID. I would try another DMV office PJ.

Yeah, sometimes overzealous DMV people are too lazy to try and make sure what they are talking about. One time I went to change my drivers license from ny to pa, and the person said my name pulled up like 7 suspended license violations. In a look of complete and utter suprise, I said how? Well, my name is common, and they were comparing me to a 20 yr old black kid in virginia, somebody in Georga, etc etc. I said, do I look like a 20 yr old black kid? The person made me go home, and wanted me to call the capital and straighten it out. I was angry, went home, called Harrisburg pa, the state capital. Their response was that person was an idiot. So I was even angrier, went back to the same person, and demanded to see his supervisor. Ended up the supervisor was standing there the whole time, watched what happend, and cleared me immediately....

Moral of the story: Never trust the DMV, and double check with the supervisor..

Thats what you should do... double check with someone important there.

Yeah, sometimes overzealous DMV people are too lazy to try and make sure what they are talking about.  One time I went to change my drivers license from ny to pa, and the person said my name pulled up like 7 suspended license violations. In a look of complete and utter suprise, I said how? Well, my name is common, and they were comparing me to a 20 yr old black kid in virginia, somebody in Georga, etc etc. I said, do I look like a 20 yr old black kid?  The person made me go home, and wanted me to call the capital and straighten it out. I was angry, went home, called Harrisburg pa, the state capital. Their response was that person was an idiot. So I was even angrier, went back to the same person, and demanded to see his supervisor. Ended up the supervisor was standing there the whole time, watched what happend, and cleared me immediately....

Moral of the story: Never trust the DMV, and double check with the supervisor..

Thats what you should do... double check with someone important there.

This is a good piece of advice.

There have been so many times just either getting the supervisor, or in the case of my current roommate, the manager (when the supervisor was foolish) to resolve the problem.

However, it still begs the larger issue. If her name has legally changed, her passport, as it now is worded, is not legitimate. This means that the visa issued to it is also not legitimate (since it goes with the passport). This will not be a problem so long as she stays in the US proper, but will cause a large problem if/when she leaves the country. I would get this checked. If the name really has changed, then the name on the passport needs to change too. It should be a really easy change to make however...

GL!