Looking ahead

Yunling and i are starting to look ahead of the interview and her arriving here. The question is...what and how can she bring her things with here. She has a lot of things...ummmmmm...tableware...stereo...more or less nick-naks that she wants to keep and have here..making 'my' home more an 'our' home. There is no doubt that it can not all be brought with us on the plane...how have others done this?

My Wife Guohua has been going to the post offise every week and mailing big boxes to our home here, She has them mailed here by ship, It takes longer about 6 to 8 weeks and my mail person just delivers them to my front door. I've gotten 3 large boxes so far, Her clothes and table clothes and curtains she bought and our daughters clothes and shoes and all sortr of stuff. :P

B) I get to open and hung up or but aways all this stuff :D , I think I'm running out of room.

Rick

From the 3 trips I have made....and other times I have flown, I know you can have 2 pieces of luggage and a carry-on per person. When I came back after the 3rd trip in Oct. I had gone with a single piece of luggage, I bought a huge piece in GZ and we packed it with some of her 'winter' clothes that i brought.

Jingwen decided not to bring any electrical appliance, etc. because of the voltage differences. Consequently, she sold just about everything before she came over. She left her bedroom furniture at her house where her mother is still living, and we use the room when we visit.

Since there were three people coming over (Jingwen and her two kids), we bought large but cheap suitcases (airlines usually allow two 25 kg suitcases per passenger without charge) and packed most of the clothes. This allowed us to bring back about half the wardrobe. We have been back once since her arrival, and we again used these large suitcases to bring back another load of clothes.

The first time I went over I had one suitcase of my clothes, so I bought another one and was able to bring back a lot of her stuff. The second time I went I had the clothes on my back and a carry on. So I bought two new suitcases and brought back a bunch more. For the interveiw my son is going with me, so we will only take one carry on and coming back there will be four of us. So for the return trip that will be eight new suitcases, a carry on for each of us, hopefully that will be enough to get everything here.

I guess the main concern will be getting stopped at customs for smuggling suitcases. :ph34r:

How many pieces of luggage can you bring on the plane ? We are only planning on bringing her clothing. I think it will fit in two or three pieces of luggage....

On Air China, you can bring with you up to 40kg worth of stuff as a check in (that is about 90 pounds), plus a carry on (inside which you can easily get another 10kg if it is just under the mandatory check-in size) without being charged an extra fee.

And from what I have seen on my direct Beijing to NYC flights that I have taken with them, it seems like many of the Chinese do just this!