Traveling on AP

Just a heads up for those of you traveling on AP.

Jingwen and I just returned from China where she went after her dad's death. Since her AOS is still pending, she traveled on AP. I didn't give it a second thought, but we encountered resistance at every turn once we got to the airport (GZ) to leave.

There was no problem checking in with China Southern with her having a passport, and expired K-1 visa and her AP, but immigration control, security checkpoint, and boarding all required two to three people to review and eventually accept the AP as proper documentation in lieu of a visa. I would have thought that this would have been fairly routine, but each time, the first person to look at her papers refused to let her continue and each time, I had to raise my voice to get a superior to accept the paperwork. If Jingwen had been traveling by herself, I'm not sure she would have made it. We also had copies of the AOS receipt notice and our marriage certificate just in case, but they weren't needed.

Entry into the US was routine but with the added step of going to the "second interview" office (LAX) so her AP information could be entered into the system and her I-94 stamped.