Video Tape for Interview

Actually, that is not correct. A blank VHS tape is the same whether you buy it in the US or China. It's the encoding format you use to record it that determines where it can be played back. There are two formats, NTSC and PAL.

The US Consulate in Guangzhou uses NTSC, even though the rest of China uses PAL. I've also noticed that their papers are standard letter size, instead of A4 like the rest of China.

The US Consulate uses NTSC ... this has been confirmed by numerous members. Please see this link.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index....t=ST&f=7&t=6492

Thanks,

P.J.

It looks like you have two separate issues.

1. Which format camcorder to buy

2. How to make NTSC VHS for the consulate video

From my time in Hong Kong and Mainland China I recall that most models of camcorder are available as EITHER format (PAL, NTSC). Also, most VHS VCRs have a switch for PAL/NTSC/SECAM.

It is possible that some camcorders can make recordings in either format (my Sony PC110 does not). If you intend to make recordings for home use in USA then you should make sure that the camcorder will make NTSC format tapes. These can easily be copied to an NTSC VHS recorder that is common in USA.

This also answers question 2, since the consulate needs NTSC VHS.

As far as a shop in Hong Kong or Guangzhou that can make NTSC VHS I'm sure it's possible. Hopefully you will have some assistance in this. I think that if you go to a shop along Nathan Road in Kowloon then you may pay too much. But, if you buy the camcorder from them maybe they will dupe a tape to VHS for free...

If you don't need the VHS tape immediately, or if the 'duping' cost is too high, it should be easy to make when you return to the USA. If you have a VHS VCR it will only be the cost of the blank tape, which is negligible. You can then send the tape to China using US Post Office Global Priority Mail for about US $9. From my experience the Global Priority packages take about 10 days to get to China.

I just checked your time line again. It seems that you will have plenty of time to dupe the camcorder recording to VHS when you return home. Unless the video shop has a really great deal for you then I'd just wait until I return home to make the VHS tape.

Okay, So bottomline I can buy the camcorder in America and since the Consulate uses the same format as the US I can make a tape and send it to the Consulate in China?

HOwever, even if they request a PAL format I should get a VCR that handles both format?

But regardless it doesn't matter what kind of camcorder I get right?

Very few camcorders take VHS tapes now. You might be able to get one on E-Bay if you would like to lug around a 50 lb camcorder.

However, there is supposed to be a relatively easy conversion between tape formats. I assume there is a very slight loss of quality, but hardly significant going between PAL and NTSC. As I understand it, there are multiple camera stores in GZ that can do the conversion for you, or aid with the conversion.

I would recommend choosing a camera that does the format that you want and then worry about the conversion later. If you are anticipating the camera to be primarily used in the USA, then purchase it in the USA. If you are anticipating it to be primarily used (tapes viewed) in China, then purchase it in China.

Are you planning on being in China for your wife's interview? If so, then you might not want to do a tape now anyway. As I suggested, it might be best to be prepared for making a tape if necessary, but not to bring it to the interview. If you get a pink or blue slip, then be prepared to finish making the tape by the next day.

Or… another thought… Go on vacation to China now. Then bring your tapes back home and do all of the editing using your existing VHS recorder in the USA. Then mail (or bring) the tape to your wife.

As far as PAL vs NTSC… The "official" pink and blue slip forms do not specify anything other than VHS. I don't remember if anybody has reported asking the question during one of the info sessions. Truthfully, I would be surprised if the Embassy doesn't support both formats. Even my college in the USA was able to support both formats.

P.S…. One of the HOTTEST Camcorders that I've seen… Is a Sony that takes Mini-DVD disks!!!!!!!

Good Luck,

Clifford

You can also buy an inexpensive VHS-C camcorder. They play the vhs tapes, but smaller. There are cartridges you can buy which will play the VHS-C tape directly, or you can dub it onto a regular sized VHS tape. I have one that I have used in china before on other trips, and it will record in the format you need.

Good to read some of the helpful info on format, most importantly that NTSC VHS is the format needed. But I just wonder in what circumstances is the VHS tape needed? My fiancee speaks nearly perfect english, we never have any problems, it was her major in college and she's even done some translating work. I tell her we should make a VHS tape anyway just to be safe, but she says no worry, its only needed when they question how you can communicate if the fiancee only speaks chinese. My digital camera that I gave to her takes little movies with sound and we have many of them to show at the interview, but have heard that won't be allowed into the room? Meanwhile I've dusted off my old VHS-C recorder and think to bring that but just not sure its needed?

Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks!

My fiancee` speaks English well also, but when I go to visit next week we are planning to make a video. I'll convert to VHS when I return home to USA and then send the tape to her.

I think it's a fairly easy thing to do if you already have the camcorder and VCR. I'm making the recording 'just in case'.

It seems that most of the evidence prepared is made 'just in case', doesn't it ?

Tapes are generally only requested as proof as the ability to communicate.

Thus, if the beneficiary speaks poor English, they may ask the Sponsor to send a tape of him or her speaking and writing Chinese.

However, in that case, a tape of the two individuals communicating together is generally accepted, and the USC can generally get out of taking a Crash-Course in Chinese.

If the benificiary has VERY STRONG English skills, it is very unlikely that they will ask for a tape.

One thing to keep in mind. The interview may be your fiancee's most stressful day of her life. If she had mediocre English skills, they could easily go flying out the window.

Also consider that the the two of you have likely gotten accoustomed to each of your speaking styles... There are a trememdous variety of English dialects in the world. Can you understand everything that British, Australian, or Indian speakers are saying? What about your favorite auctioneer? Will your fiancee do well if he or she encounters a heavily accented interviewer?

----- CK -----