"Buying" jobs in China

This is somewhat related to the previous topic I started regarding money... but it's also a little different.

Recently we had a little over-seas crisis going related to Youyue's younger brother. He's 23yo, in a military school in Beijing and has a job working in the military hospital (repairing physical thearapy equipment?). Well, news came over that he had an opportunity to get a government job. He just needed to give this person who was getting him the position 20,000RMB. They were claiming this was an incredible opportunity for him but they were having trouble coming up with the money.

Personally, I found the whole notion of buying a job offensive. I know it's how things quite often work there but I also think it's one of China's biggest problems.

Does anyone here know anything more about this topic? Just trying to get a little perspective here.

Guest lilac6451

I think there is one thing I need to clear about what you said about buying a job in China. We do have some people over there who hold high positions and want to make money by selling people good jobs. But is it a phenomenon happening all over the world? Right now I am in England, I hear a lot from my landlady about how her daughter bribed the manager in a certain company in oder to get a decent job.Even worse to learn that, some people here even told me to seduce the professors( I am learning in England)by wearing short skirt to get righ marks in England.

What I want to say is that in China most of the time, most of the people get their jobs in the normal fair way. So please dont let the one bad thing happening around you blank your eyes about China.You seem to have bias about China.

Regardless of the: "wink and a handshake" attitude of members here at the Candle, this is a VERY dangerous area for Youyue's younger brother.... this job offer isn't in the private sector....

People involved in the process of buying jobs in the PRC government are seriously NOT paying close attention to their own well being...

The Communist government is in the 3rd. year of a very serious crackdown on corruption---- which will continue for the forseeable future...

While the crackdown measures the weight of the offence, quite a few very high party officials have been put to death over issues of corruption...

I would very much recommend that Youyue's younger brother does not walk away from this "opportunity" --- but rather, run as if his life depends on it!!!

(From one who's future Father-in law is a party member)

Regardless of the: "wink and a handshake" attitude of members here at the Candle, this is a VERY dangerous area for Youyue's younger brother.... this job offer isn't in the private sector....

People involved in the process of buying jobs in the PRC government are seriously NOT paying close attention to their own well being...  

The Communist government is in the 3rd. year of a very serious crackdown on corruption---- which will continue for the forseeable future...    

While the crackdown measures the weight of the offence, quite a few very high party officials have been put to death over issues of corruption...

I would very much recommend that Youyue's younger brother does not walk away from this "opportunity" --- but rather, run as if his life depends on it!!!

(From one who's future Father-in law is a party member)

I agree he should not even think about it,even if he does not get caught it will be a heavy burden of wrong to hope that it does not come back to bite him