Bringing Pets to USA

now it seems the problem is we cannot bring him into the cabin because he weighs too much.

Sounds like one fat cat!!! Are you sure? Is it just that Yan Zi will have trouble carrying him? Will you be flying with her?

laofu was so scrawny and scruffy and sickly looking when she first rescued him; he apparently got abandoned by his family during the sars scare. lots of pets were being dumped at that time, from what yan zi tells me. she thought he was very old, so i suggested we just give him a good last few months of his life and put him to sleep when she comes here. now that he's been bathed, de-wormed, vaccinated, neutered, given unlimited cat food, and generally just spoiled rotten, i'm guessing he's probably about 2 years old. his luck turned so dramatically when yan zi took him in, that we just cannot bear to leave him behind to an uncertain cat-future.

he weighs 5 kg, and that's the weight limit for cat and carrier, from what we are being told by the airlines we have talked to. some don't allow them in the cabin at all. yan zi was trying to get him started on a diet yesterday, and she was suffering more than laofu, who just was begging and begging her. yan zi was so relieved when we found out the cargo hold would be acceptible for him. laofu immediately got his bowl of kibbles and stopped crying. mournful crying is an artform for that boy.

i will be flying with her. i have been dreaming of bringing her here for almost 2 years now. can't believe it's finally going to happen.

Yes!!!!  You must bring Lao-Fu with you, he is a lucky cat!!!

Yup a regular fortune kitty..:ph34r:

Bea is just explaining to me why they have the waving cats in the front of the stores here in China... the cat is waving to the customers and they are happy so they come into your store and buy more things.. thus.. the fortune kitty... hehehe

So now if you can get your's to wave... darn!!! multi fortune kitty and heck... they will let him ride shotgun in the cockpit...:ph34r:

Mark and Bea

Yes!!!!  You must bring Lao-Fu with you, he is a lucky cat!!!

Yup a regular fortune kitty..:ph34r:

thanks for the encouragement robert, and mark & bea. the thought of leaving him behind was a bit of a dark cloud over our happy day. we'd both admit feeling the same thing, such happiness about the great day that was coming for us, but such sadness about leaving our little friend, her devoted companion, behind. i don't want to get too melodramatic about this, but i gotta say we are both so much happier now that we decided to bring him. i guess only an animal lover could understand...

• 4 weeks later...
Do you think it would be any problem to bring a small dog to the U.S.?

hi james,

i assume you're talking about getting him past the usda inspectors, which i think controls that. apparently it is not a problem at all if the dog is healthy and has a rabies vaccination at least 30 days prior to entering the u.s. pm me with your email address, and i will send you the brochure that my attorney gave to me about bringing animals.

steve