Does any know if someone entered with K1 visa is eligible to pay just resident fee? I think you have to be living in a certain state for at least one year to meet that criteria. Is it one year from the day you entered U.S. with K1 visa? or one year from the day your status is adjusted ( your conditional green card issued)? Non-resident tuition costs almost 10 times more than resident fee.. Thanks.

It is very much state by state and even that is confusing. Typically *Most* states seem to be 6 or 12 months. (I recommend you check with your "intended" residence states college system. Requirements and fees are generally on line. I *believe* the clock starts ticking as soon as you take up residence there).

For illustration: Just last year there was a lawsuit about the NV. State College system charging non resident rates saying 12 months qualifies you as a resident. Just about everything else statewide says 6 months (or less). Last I heard they (college system) admitted that they were overcharging in the past but no-one got refunds for such.

I also was looking at moving to NH (VSC) at one time. I don't know if this applies to State funded schools there but in essence a web site stated simply getting a driver's license or paying utilites there and just saying that you are a resident would qualify you as such. Richard

Thanks,Richard. I did call the college today and explained my confusion. They told me I should be elig. for resident fee however they may req. more information. They do require at least 1 year and 1 day residency in CA. I would be happy to go back to school and take some accounting courses. I figured out a more technical job that does not require much of writing and speaking would be good :angel: I like dealing with numbers anyway. Plus if we do move back to China, accountants in foreign firms are always needed!

Thanks,Richard. I did call the college today and explained my confusion.  They told me I should be elig. for resident fee however they may req. more information. They do require at least 1 year and 1 day residency in CA. I would be happy to go back to school and take some accounting courses. I figured out a more technical job  that does not require much of writing and speaking would be good :angel: I like dealing with numbers anyway. Plus if we do move back to China, accountants in foreign firms are always needed!

i'm in ca also. did the college happen to tell you what triggers the first day of residency? like, is it just being here and putting your feet on the ground, or is it the first day you get a driver's license or something like that?

yan zi is going to want to go to school to take english classes, and i was figuring we'd probably wait a year. but i'd like to make sure she can go as soon as she wants to after the price comes down.

how are you liking it here, by the way?

steve

hi,Steve! When she applies for a community college, she needs to fill out a registration form, including on what type of visa she entered the U.S, her status with BCIS and etc.The college will decide if she qualifies for residency. If she doesn't, she needs to provide more evidence; if she is still denied, she may req. non-resident tuition exemption. If she takes english courses, she needs to take an language assessment test.