Just saw on Northwest Airline's website this morning:

(multiply the price 2x as this price is based on one-way)

Great Sale Fares to Asia

We have extended our fall sale to Asia, so great fares are still available! Fares must be purchased by October 29, 2004 for travel through December 9, 2004.

[/u]Sample Each-way Fares[/u]

Portland - Hong Kong $324

Washington D.C. - Taipei $344

Chicago - Shanghai $374

Boston - Osaka $374

New York (JFK) - Bangkok $389

http://www.nwa.com/cgi-bin/weeklyoffers.cg...074&link=030405

Also, NWA also flies to GZ via Japan.

i don't know about that deal, fellas. in their sample each-way fare they show los angeles as $279, which is $558 r/t. search for it, and it's $698 for the r/t. and one-way, which is what i really need, is almost $1,200. also it connects in tokyo.

on FlyChina i found a one way china southern, non-stop, for $550. so i went ahead and booked it. (going over november 13.)

i usually use LowestFare.com, but saw flychina recommended here so i gave it a try. it came up with the best deal.

now, how to get yan zi's cat, mr. laofu, here??? :P

another good site to try is

http://www.airlineconsolidator.com/infobook_fs.html

I've found some consolidator fares on there that can't be found on other websites. Also if anyone ever needs a one way from Hong Kong to the US,

try: http://www.aerohkg.com

I actually used them before, when we came back together from Hong Kong last time. They are super cheap if you need a ticket originating in HKG. The building in Sheung Wan is a little tricky to find, but worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a heads up to anyone that is planing travel for next month. Northwest has extended this special for flights to GZ until Nov 15. I know you west coasters can likely do better, but for the rest of us, I think this is about the best deal out there right now. I went to Sunshine Travel here in MA, inquired with flychina.com, and searched with all of the major online travel companies as well as united.com, and only flychina came close to this price for an NWA itinerary (but still not matching the direct NWA price).

The one downside I have found to NWA is they seem to have no alliances with Chinese airlines, so it will likely be very expensive to get any domestic China connections booked on the same ticket/itinerary.

FWIW, I booked my tix to GZ for Quan's interview. I will be leaveing on Thanksgiving Day. Flying from Providence RI to Minneapolis, Tokyo, GZ for $750 RT. This is far and away the cheapest fare I have ever got.

YMMV :D

Guest blsqueaky

I was messing around last night lookiing at flights from Columbus, OH to GZ for my next trip, and could not believe some of the prices. Flychina, on NW, $956 r/t, expedia, same flight, $1200+, travelocity, also up there, so I guess that I have to say that flychina is the best here.

I have tried directly with NWA website, and keep comming up with no flights for scheduled time.

To all:

This is my experience from Eastern USA (PA). I fly Continental Airlines from Pittsburgh (PIT) to Newark (EWR) then to Hong Kong (HKG). Then bus to Shenzhen. I have flown three times this year and will return in December. Round trip cost:

January 2004 - $ 1,210 - First trip, purchased ticket too late

April 2004 - $ 870

August 2004 - $ 1,100 - Panicked, and purchased ticket at wrong time

December 2004 - $ 790

Originally I checked flights on Orbitz.com After I chose Continental for the first trip, I knew it would be Continental forever. I now only use Continental's website to book flights.

I will stay with Continental because of their OnePass miles (frequent flyer miles). After the first flight and departing trip on the second flight I became a Silver Elite member. Among other benefits, I earn 50% bonus OnePass miles. After my third flight, I became a Gold Elite member, so I will now earn 100% bonus OnePass miles. I also receive 1,000 bonus OnePass miles for purchasing tickets on-line at Continental's website.

I need 60,000 OnePass miles for a free economy class roundtrip ticket from Pittsburgh to Hong Kong. In 2005 there will be no restriction dates placed on usage. So here is the OnePass miles I have earned/will earn on each flight:

1st trip 17,120

2nd trip 22,315

3rd trip 25,510

4th trip 33,670

So, from now on, I will earn a free ticket after two trips to China. I do not understand how they do this ??? In addition, Continental is offering a special from 10/1/04 - 09/30/05. For $99, you will receive 2,000 OnePass bonus miles for entering this promotion, and 100% OnePass bonus miles for each flight anywhere Continental travels. Again, how do they do this ??? I do not understand how all the airlines are not in bankruptcy given how soon you can each a free ticket ???

When I return in December, I will have enough OnePass miles for two tickets. This will save me in 2005, after all my expenses in 2004.

Also, since I am now an Elite member, I have special check-in privileges and security benefits at Continetal's Newark hub. Other benefits that I have actually used and have helped me on my last trip include; being able to select preminum seating to help when the plane was delayed at Hong Kong, I do appreciate the benefits. And the Boeing 777 is a nice plane even though I fly economy class.

In my opinion, if you plan to fly to China multiple times, once you choose an airline company, it should be beneficial to use the same company on future trips. What do you think ???

Mark

Guest blsqueaky

I agree here. I try and use NW whenever I can, but now can also use Delta and United since they are code share partners, and my miles go on my NW card. Also elite status, and really enjoy it. Once able to upgrade with no use of miles, like getting on first with the 1st class passengers.

Right now messing around with some site on prices, and can not believe. I was just throwing in some dates, NW, book certain time in NOV, $756, r/t, look at other date, $1200, another date, $1500, and then again another, $1700. Can not understand this. Priceline, $1500, expedia again, $1300-1700, pending on date.

I know that I have found that I can save by flying to HK, but what I save, I spend in hotel, then bus and iniconveinence.

I did some price comparisons on the major airline consolidators

( I have been using: http://www.cheapinternationalflights.net/ )

These prices are for Feburary just after the Chinese new year, and they are from LAX to Hong Kong:

1. cheapinternationalflights.net $605

2. expedia $696.93

3. yahoo travel $719.00

4. Orbits $714.00

5. airlineconsolidator.com $636.00

6. flychina.com $720.00

7. nwa.com $958.93

8. Lowestfare.com $732.00

9. travelocity.com $719.00

10. Continental $1,326.08

11. American (My freq. flyer airline) $1,177.93

12. Cathay Pacific $961.93

Cathay is a nice airline, I used my freq. flyer points from american to fly them (code-share) last time....

I did some price comparisons on the major airline consolidators

( I have been using: http://www.cheapinternationalflights.net/ )

These prices are for Feburary just after the Chinese new year, and they are from LAX to Hong Kong:

1. cheapinternationalflights.net                  $605

2. expedia                                                $696.93

3. yahoo travel                                            $719.00

4. Orbits                                                      $714.00

5. airlineconsolidator.com                            $636.00

6. flychina.com                                          $720.00

7. nwa.com                                                  $958.93

8. Lowestfare.com                                    $732.00

9. travelocity.com                                        $719.00

10. Continental                                            $1,326.08

11. American (My freq. flyer airline)          $1,177.93

12. Cathay Pacific                                      $961.93   

Cathay is a nice airline, I used my freq. flyer points from american to fly them (code-share) last time....

I bet if you buy the ticket from a LA Chinatown travel agency, it would be cheaper.

My ticket fares:

November

Asiana airlines - Washington DC to Guilin RT: $980.00

Asiana airlines - Washington DC to Guilin one-way: $690.00

I fly with Asiana, because I don't need to stop in Japan or Hong Kong.

It is just a quick connect in Seoul.

Extremely courteous attendants and new 747 jumbo jets!

I'm willing to pay $100 more for top notched service and the safety of new jumbo jets. I flew with NWA, and I have found that their attendants have been quite rude.

Also, the Japanese attendants on Japan airlines are also not very courteous... I will not fly Japan airline again.

I have gotten good service from the following airlines:

a) Asiana airlines

:rolleyes: United airlines

c) Cathay Pacific

d) China Southern

Bad services from the following airlines:

a) Japan airlines

:blink: Northwest

Also try flyi.com for cheap fares to connect to your international flights in JFK from your Midwest or Northeast locations.

I was messing around last night lookiing at flights from Columbus, OH to GZ for my next trip, and could not believe some of the prices. Flychina, on NW, $956 r/t, expedia, same flight, $1200+, travelocity, also up there, so I guess that I have to say that flychina is the best here.

I have tried directly with NWA website, and keep comming up with no flights for scheduled time.

I tried to search this on NWA's website (CMH/CAN). For departure dates up to Nov 13, I am getting the $1200 price, but then from Nov 14 on, I'm getting $771 RT. The only time I got no available flights was when I chose Nov 25 (Thanksgiving) as the return date.

Tony: Asiana airfares $800-$950 RT from JFK to Guangzhou or Guilin. Call Key Travel in NY Chinatown 1-800-355-3388. Asiana is non-stop from JFK to Seoul, then a quick connect to Guangzhou or Guilin. The quickest way to your loved one without staying in Hong Kong and pay those inflated hotel rooms. Oh, I get to avoid the dreaded Hong Kong/China border crossing via bus. I've purchased multiple airfares from Key, and Key Travel have been quite reputable. One time, I got JFK to Taiwan RT for $380.00 from Key.

Yee hails from Guilin. When is your gf scheduled for the flight to the states?