Translations

TRANSLATIONS.....

I have a question about the requirement that documents be translated.

The instructions for I-129F state "...foreign language document must be accompanied by a full English translation...".

The OF169 sent from Guangzhou states "...documents not in English, or in the official language of the country...".

Is this a contradiction? Or, is it that each form or package has its own requirements? For example, since the I-129F is filed in the US then everything must either be in English or translated. The document package with P4 is filed with Guangzhou so English OR Chinese is acceptable?

Guest Long_strider

The documents needed to be translated from Chinese to English for k-1 are

Single certificate (good for one year)

Divorce certficate (if divorced)

Birth certficate

Police Certificates (good for one year)

long_strider

Beijing jenny, that's exactly what the OF169 DOES say. It's clear to me.

However, after the responses above I sent an email to the consulate.

I was amazed that they actually answered right away. But the answer is weird. Actually it's easiest for me to post the relevant text here.

I ASKED:

My fiancee has received P3 and is collecting documents for the interview.

Your form OF169, item 10, states that non-English or non-Chinese documents must be translated. I interpret this to mean that if all documents are English or Chinese then no translations are required.

Is this interpretation correct?

GUZ ANSWERED:

Generally right, all the Chinese certificates must be translated into

English by the Notary Public.

I really don't know what to think, except that they are probably used to seeing so many translated documents that they believe it is required. I really don't see any gray area in OF169 about this. I guess I'll wait until we get P4 before I decide what to tell my fiancee`. At this point I'm thinking about caving and getting the translations. It's only two or three documents, it's a hassle, but probably only one day of work for her, and only 15 or 20 dollars.

What really burns me about this is that the requirement on the OF169 is clear. I was just seeking some peace of mind after reading about people having documents translated.

I suppose a better way to get an answer is to go to the citizens hour at the consulate. But, as with most people here, the consulate is about 7000 miles away ;)

Guest Long_strider

For the P-3, The OF169 is in both English and Chinese. You can obtain a copy of both at the Yahoo Chinese Couples group.

The forms submitted to the Consulate at the time of the interview and provided to your fiance with the P-4 are submitted in Chinese and English.

They are the DS 156 and the GIV24. Again both copies are at the Yahoo group.

pm me if you want the specific location.

long_strider

Mike_m, since there seems to be a lot of confusion all around, even on this board, I agree we should just do it to save hassle later. As we've seen, just because it's written doesn't mean they will apply it - I imagine we could shout "but it says..." all we want and they won't care. It also says police cert is good for one year, but people say they really want six months...