Hotels, Hotels, Hotels!

Hello Everyone,

I know that starting Oct. 14 all the hotel rooms in GZ will skyrocket to around 1000RMB + :blink: because of the Trade Show that is going on! I know this has been covered a couple months back so I though I might try to get some fresh information from anyone.

My best understanding is to go to the next city over "Shenzhen" but I don't have any new information about the travel from there to GZ, etc.

So if anyone has any good leads, let me know. My wife leaves for GZ Oct. 13. Qunying and I will really appreciate any help with this search.

Guest DragonFlower

You can get relatively inexpensive lodging in Shenzhen.

Have your wife do the booking,they will charge an American more money.

The bus and the train are both easy to use,takes about an hour and a half.

Take a taxi in Guangzhou the first time,until your wife gets the local bus system figured out.Make sure the idiot taxi driver understands where you want to go.(the first one we used,did not have a clue).There is a city bus that goes right to the big bus station from near Shamian.You might want to talk to Mark and Bea,if they have time,since they live in Schenzhen.I hope there is not something happening in Shenzhen as well,that will jack up room prices.

If you are flying into Hong Kong,you can get a minivan to take you right to your hotel in Shenzhen for about 30 dollars,you do not even have to get out at the border(Booth A08,at the airport)

long

Bryan, You need to get this done!!

Fei, who used to work in the travel business in GZ looked for Portland Jim over a month ago and found the pickings in GZ very slim.... (fortunately, Jim's SO found something).. I would suggest you book in Shenzhen ASAP.

The train from Shenzhen to the East Guangzhou train station is fast, quiet and civilized..

the new subway is right in the station, and is by the easiest way to get cross town. The subway stop close to the Consulate is Huangsha (about a ten minute walk to the Consulate on Shamian Is.)

I think the Victory Annex is good and a bit less $$ that the regular Victory Hotel. We stayed at the Shamian Hotel - not the best, but the price is a bit better. I think the Customs House is OK - it's near the coffee shop and the Catholic Church.

The white restraunt outside the White Swan is good and not expensive. There is another rest. over on the river, evening specials and reasonable.

Thanks Everyone for your suggestions.

I have already gotten an email back from Mark and Bea, and Bea is going to call my wife in the morning (China time). As for the other hotels, my wife has already looked into these everyone has mentioned. The problem is that "ALL" the hotels have inflatted their prices for the Trade Show that is going on!

I think you would be very lucky to find anything under RMB1000 starting Oct. 14. that was close.

Check out www.guangzhouhotel.com

They have wide range of prices from 1 star to 5 star (White Swan).

As you already know they have higher prices during the trade fair.

If you don't mind complete spartan, just a place to lay your body

for a few days, there is youth hostel right next to the Guangzhou

train station. Actually it's a hotel allocating part of it for youth hostel.

As I said, it's spartan but clean, even with TV set and cheap, may be $10

or less/night. If you are not a hostel member, you can become one on the spot. www.hiusa.com

Good luck

Hello Everyone,

I want to thank all of you again for your suport and suggestions. This morning (US Time) mark's wife, Bea called my wife and it seems that everything will be OK. I did not get much detail from my wife because of her having a few things in the city to take care of, but I did ask her how the call went and she seems to be happier about the trip to GZ now.

Mark and Bea, Thank you so very much for you efferts to help.

Bryan