SSN Application form

I was looking at the SSN application form (http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5fs.pdf) and was a bit confused about question #3. It says:

CITIZENSHIP (Check one):

1. U.S. Citizen

2. Legal alien allowed to work

3. Legal alien NOT allowed to work

4. Other

My wife is a K3. I plan to apply for SSN once she gets her EAD. So, once she gets her EAD which one should she check? Anyone who has done this, please help. Thanks.

As with my wife, and some others here, K-3 visa holders have to get the EAD card first. In our case, it took 5 months. Others may have received theirs faster.

Definitely mail the I-765 the same time you mail the I-485.

I would still go down to your local SS office with a filled out application and just see what they tell you. My guess would be that they will want to see some type of work authorization from DHS, (EAD).

-On the form, mark No. #2 when you go down there with the EAD card; some day in the future........ :)

good luck

Patrick,

For my AOS, I have to send it to Baltimore. But for my EAD (my wife's a K3), we'll have to send it to MSC. So, does "sending both EAD and AOS together" still hold for us? If it does, then do you just mean that I shoudl send both at the same time? I'm a little confused. Please help. Thanks.

Also, Send in your EAD with your AOS. Don't send seperately! If you send seperately, then you will be required to get 2 sets of fingerprints and pictures. We had to make a 3 hour drive twice to do the exact same thing. Our Gov't rules are just sooooo stupid.

Patrick

your wife had to give ten fingerprints for the EAD card?

My wife did ten for the AOS (FD-258) and no photo but only one (index finger) for the EAD, and one photo. Two different appointments, two different places.