Need Notorized Passport for I-129F?

I sent in only an "unotarized" photocopy of my entire passport for the I-129F and a photocopy of my FS-240 (Notice of Birth ot Child to American Parents Overseas) and it was approved by the CIS without any problems. I think the only place anyone has asked for a notarized (certified) copy of the passport was at the Consulate in Guangzhou and that was only in one known case so far, most likely by an overzealous and Napoleonic VO.

I agree with everyones thinking, but remember the only hindrance these guys can use against us is time.

And here is the problem not sending originals or certified copies i.e. of the passport and originals of other docs such as birth certs.

THEY CAN ASK YOU TO PRODUCE ORIGINALS at any time.

You can get an original birth cert for about $10 bucks why take the chance of adding time to the wait. Even though the papers say send copies they can ask for originals adding another 6 or 8 weeks to the wait if they do.

Everything I sent was original except the passport which was certified copies.. Do not give them a chance to shoot you down stalling is the only thing they have in their corner working for them.

;)

I agree with everyones thinking, but remember the only hindrance these guys can use against us is time.

And here is the problem not sending originals or certified copies i.e. of the passport and originals of other docs such as birth certs.

THEY CAN ASK YOU TO PRODUCE ORIGINALS at any time.

You can get an original birth cert for about $10 bucks why take the chance of adding time to the wait. Even though the papers say send copies they can ask for originals adding another 6 or 8 weeks to the wait if they do.

Everything I sent was original except the passport which was certified copies.. Do not give them a chance to shoot you down stalling is the only thing they have in their corner working for them.

;)

.......and there's nothing wrong with playing it safe.

It is what we each are comfortable with. The main thing is to do all the paperwork and do it right! A well organized and neatly done package goes a long ways. For instance, don't forget to use the standard two-hole punch on all your papers and on your mailing envelope, write on it what form is in the envelope, ex: "I-129F."

All of this can be found on the CIS mailing instructions.

I would agree that if possible provide originals or certified copies for the I-129F, except for my fiancee's notarized birth certificate (which is not a required item but sometimes asked for by the USCIS). However, for those who have already sent in their I-129F and did not provide originals or certified copies, try not to worry about it. Myself, my close friend, and many others here did not provide originals or certified photocopies to the USCIS and they passed it. If they want it, the USCIS can always do a RFE and you can most likely get it back to them quickly.

I view this whole fiancee visa thing in two parts - the first phase with the USCIS which seems to be more like a grand jury of sorts to decide if there is enough evidence of relationship to go on to the second phase - the real trial which takes place at the US Consulate in Guangzhou. For the real trial ( the interview), I would provide originals and certified copies of just about everything possible to my fiancee.

One thing that ticks me off. The USCIS instructions somewhere say that if they request originals for anything, they will return it to you, especially thinkgs like birth certificates. I sent in my fiancee's original birth certificate with a stamped, self addressed envelope along with a note asking them to return it to me when they were finished with it. And of course, I've not seen it since. So don't send the USCIS your ONLY original because you may not see it again. Do a certified copy. But for the record, 4 notary publics told me it is against the law for them to make certified copies of birth certificates and divorce decrees...essentially anything that is a public document on record at a courthouse that anyone can obtain. You will have to go the the county courthouse most likely where you were born and/or divorced to get a certified copy. Passports are not public documents that just anyone can obtain a copy of so a notary public can make a certified copy of it.

Well, I am not living in the state in which I was born so can't get the original birth cert.

My package for the I-129 was a total of 350 pages. Email, copies of letter, copies of passports for both, birth certificates, photos of us together where I lived in Asia. Picture of my apartment building there, phone records from over there....you name it.

It was over two inches thick. If that wasn't enough....not sure what else I could do. I even wrote notes on the passport pages, the visa stamps, indicating we were both in the same country at the same times (when she would come stay with me). Emails (about 200) were arranged chronologically and with month dividers.

I wish there was an objective checklist. You know "if you have 7 of the following 10 documents, you are in compliance" sort of thing. Now, I hope that the guy who picks our package up isn't having a bad day or hung over. That is why I am worried. Completely subjective.

Well, I am not living in the state in which I was born so can't get the original birth cert. 

There are services available that can aquire them for you in 2 weeks sometimes less. Also the department of vital records in your state and often let you order by mail. This usually requires a faxed copy of your driver's license, or some other proof of identity.

There are services available that can aquire them for you in 2 weeks sometimes less. Also the department of vital records in your state and often let you order by mail. This usually requires a faxed copy of your driver's license, or some other proof of identity.

Ditto that.. you can order off the net for most states..Its a public record I believe anyone could order it if you pay the price..