Hi,

We are looking for a lawyer now so if you had one and he/she works good, please recommend to us.

Timeline will be the major standard for us to see whether he/she is good.  :ph34r: (Seem to everyone.)

Thanks for shareing.

Anne

My sense is this. If you are looking for a lawyer to speed up the process associated with regular K processing, forget it. Chances are that a lawyer who claims that he or she can get your visa more quickly is feeding you a line.

If you are looking for a lawyer to cross check your petitions, applications, and supporting evidence, make sure he or she has experience with K visa processing, not just immigration law in general. I used a lawyer primarily for this reason.

If you are looking down the road, make sure your lawyer has extensive experience with the consulate in Guangzhou. Again, chances are that an experienced family visa lawyer's expetise might lie with USCIS (US side) and not with GZ.

Essentially, lawyers who might assist in processing an I-129F will have to rely on you to provide all of the information. Here, an experienced family visa lawyer might be useful in explaining exactly what information you will need, but remember that you will be doing all of the legwork. The lawyer will probably take your information, put it on the forms and send it off.

When hiring a lawyer, make sure your fee arrangement covers both the USCIS and the DOS filings. Many lawyers will help you with the I-129F, but leave you on your own or charge you more for the actual visa application that is filed with State.

I WOULD NOT USE A LAWYER AND IF YOU DO DO NOT USE ROMNEY WRIGHT"S OFFIC IN TYSONS corner VA member DC bar...thay are horrible and loaded with clerical errors and slow downs ! they are MAINLY for MEXICAN IMMIGRANTS ! THEY DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CHINESE VISA !!!

I really think with the aid of sites such as this u can do it yourself and actually SAVE TIME ! I would NEVER recomend a lawyer for a visa.

Is that possible to hire separately lawyers??

Unforturnately, we will have to go through Nebraska Service Center this time so maybe lawyer can put things in order better than us?

Also, I've heard someone metioned to hire a lawyer here in China but I haven't ever find any informations online for K VISA cases. Most are for study issues.

To basically repeat what Clifford said a lawyer has no influence what so ever in how fast your petition is processed. The only way a lawyer can save you time is if you aren't careful and make a mistake filling out your paper work. Like Frank said you have to do the legwork yourself. The lawyer just fills out the papers and checks them over for mistakes. It is not that hard to do yourselves. Living in Vancouver Wa. he has to file through NSC so your petiton could take anywhere from 4-6 months to process. No attorney can change that. After that it takes around 6 months to interview. Goodluck and since Portland and Vancouver are neighbor cities have him get in touch with the Oregon group. We are tentatively thinking about another get together soon.

Right now, we just trying to collect all the right informations and file it in,see what happens. (Maybe anyone here can provid a COMPLETE list of what we should get for the file? )

Anne,

Here are some notes that P.J. put together about a year ago. They seemed to be very complete.

I know that some of the applications have been recently updated. I haven't reviewed the new applications yet (that will come later).

I believe that the 3/4 frontal picture has been replaced by a "full frontal" picture. I.E. You now look at the camera, rather than looking away from it.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index....t=ST&f=7&t=3609

The question about using a lawyer is one of individual choice. People use lawyers for the visa process because they don't have the time to do it themselves, they do not want the hassle or they want to be sure everything to done as correctly as possible, and maybe ten or so other reasons.

The is an organization of immigration lawyers, American Immigration Lawyers Association, in D.C., that has 4,500 or so lawyers members from around the country. They will make lawyer referrals. Its site is aila.org

Like any other major decision, do your due-diligence even if you get a referral from AILA. What is the lawyer's experience. Do they do K1, CR1, K3, K4 and IR1 visas?How long have they been in practice and doing immigration law, especially those kind of visa cases? Qustion like that will let you get a feel for the lawyer.

Be prepared when you talk to a lawyer, even the first time. Good, competent lawyers will appreciate it as it shows you are serious, organized and won't be wasting time.