Well, Minghao, my 18 year old step-son went with Jingwen and me to get his learner's license today. Two tests - 40 questions in all, 20 in Chinese.

He was a bit cocky about it, having gotten a "practice test" from one of his buds at school to study. Total time in the testing room was about 10 minutes. He passed the road sign test but flunked the law test miserably (got 4 out of 20). He was incredulous. Jingwen said no problem. Let's give the official some money and get the license. blink.gif I had to tell her that we don't do these things in America. She wasn't too happy about it, but she understood.

Poor Minghao is still claiming that the test was rigged. He also claims the questions were the same as the practice test. So much for short cuts. The only downside in his learning the hard way about studying, is that we waited about 6 hours at the DMV to take the test.

He'll try again next weekend. Maybe he'll study the old fashioned way, like reading the driver's manual. :angry:

Jun always says "If I can drive in Beijing, driving in the US should be easy." While I'll admit that though I'm a pretty seasoned driver here, and would NOT get on the road in Beijing not even to save my own life (might as well die in the comfort of my own home)... I'm not sure how well it works the other way around. I think a lot of the driving tactics learned to survive there have to be "unlearned". That and the fact that the lines, signs, lights, etc. aren't open to interpretation. Seems like in Beijing red means "stop if you feel like it", the white lines are decorations, and the signs are there to slow your car down if you go off the road. :rolleyes: :D

I'm sure she'll do fine though ;)

Jun always says "If I can drive in Beijing, driving in the US should be easy."  While I'll admit that though I'm a pretty seasoned driver here, and would NOT get on the road in Beijing not even to save my own life (might as well die in the comfort of my own home)...  I'm not sure how well it works the other way around.  I think a lot of the driving tactics learned to survive there have to be "unlearned".  That and the fact that the lines, signs, lights, etc. aren't open to interpretation.  Seems like in Beijing red means "stop if you feel like it", the white lines are decorations, and the signs are there to slow your car down if you go off the road. :( :rolleyes:

I'm sure she'll do fine though ;)

Hey Jason,

I'm not familar with BJ Yet but based on my Shanghai/ Qing Dao time maybe disconnect the HORN!

My clever young daughter passed her written test on the first try. Wife Ping failed it twice but she finally PASSED today. So Frank you tell your son it can be done. Ping said she quit trying to guess what would be the American way of doing something but she answered the questions like it was a learner's permit test in China. That might have been the key to passing, it sounds good. Even though they drive crazy over there, the driving laws probably make actual sense. Ping says she was lucky because we ate dumplings for lunch before going to the DMV.

By the way, Frank, your wife may have been right, that it was possible to just pay off somebody and get a driver's license in GA, she says she heard that Chinese people over there know how to pay $1500 and get a license that way. I still said I did not believe it.

Tomorrow they are both going for their driver's license tests. I fully expect they will both fail, but it will be good practice. I have taken them out driving here in rural Alabama and they both did okay but I just believe the driver examiner will be able to trip them up, though I hope they pass.

My clever young daughter passed her written test on the first try.  Wife Ping failed it twice but she finally PASSED today.  So Frank you tell your son it can be done.  Ping said she quit trying to guess what would be the American way of doing something but she answered the questions like it was a learner's permit test in China.  That might have been the key to passing, it sounds good.  Even though they drive crazy over there, the driving laws probably make actual sense.  Ping says she was lucky because we ate dumplings for lunch before going to the DMV.  

By the way, Frank, your wife may have been right, that it was possible to just pay off somebody and get a driver's license in GA, she says she heard that Chinese people over there know how to pay $1500 and get a license that way.  I still said I did not believe it.  

Tomorrow they are both going for their driver's license tests.  I fully expect they will both fail, but it will be good practice.  I have taken them out driving here in rural Alabama and they both did okay but I just believe the driver examiner will be able to trip them up, though I hope they pass.

Glad to hear the news. Make sure your insurance is up to date on that beautiful car you drive.

Minghao and now his sister will go for the written test on Saturday. I hope either both pass or both fail. If one passes and the other does not, there will be at least one very moody person in the house. And, you can bet the ranch on this. I ain't paying $1,500 to get either of them a license, but the chances are that the increase in my insurance premiums will be about the same. :rolleyes:

School was called on account of rain today (remnants of Ivan), so I took the kids to get their learner's licenses. KK, my step-daughter failed the sign test, but Minghao, my step-son passed both the sign and written tests. It turned out that he failed the first time because he answered the example as #1, answered #1 as #2, etc. thereby putting all answers out of sequence. :huh:

I have now been through the lines four times. The first time, the lady refused to let Minghao sit for the test because I didn't have a copy of my marriage certificate with me so I guess I wasn't his step-father. Went home and got the certificate and got back in line. Went to another attendant who didn't even bother to ask for it. It didn't make any difference since Minghao failed the first time.

The third trip through the line for Minghao to re-take the test brought a statement from the lady that Minghao's K-2/I-94 were expired so he didn't have proof of legal residence in the US. I did everything to keep from jumping across the counter and wringing her neck. But, I pointed out that he had his EAD and SSN, that K-2 status is irrelevant since his mom and I were married, that we had filed for AOS, etc. She could tell that I was ready to blow a gasket, I think, because she went ahead a processed the paperwork. The fourth trip through the line for KK brought me to this same lady. This time, she had no remarks or comments. :lol:

Now, I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and inform my insurance company. Buddy, can you spare a dime? :angel:

Our daughter, Jing-jing, passed her driver's license test yesterday. I had called and talked with the State Patrol sergeant in charge of the office and told him the story about when Jing had failed the first time. The examiner lady that first time had a very heavy accent and she spoke real fast, she told Jing "we don't have anybody to translate for you" and "why don't you come back when you learn to speak English." The sergeant was interested to hear about this and said for Jing to ask for him personally. He actually gave her the test himself. Which reminds me I have got to call him back to thank him for his kindness. Ping failed hers on this her first try, she was told by the lady examiner that she made the turns too slow. She won't be so nervous next time.

I am not having to pay extra insurance while they are driving on a learner's permit. Jing is going to be paying $50/month for liability now, surprised it is not more.

Bing is going to tale her written test next month. I called my insurance agent yesterday and he said my rates would't go up much if any. I asked him how much they would go up if I added an old car for her to drive and he said only about 50 a month for liability only.

I added my wife to the insurance on line just the other day. I got a reply saying the insurance won't go up while she has a learner's permit. Her learner's permit will expire the same time her EAD card expires. She just finished a driving course today. She has 360 miles logged but stil has much to learn!, believe me!.....

Well,,,gotta go. She is bugging me to take her driving now. I hope to be back here later.......I really do!...... :huh:

I'm developing a theory about Chinese drivers. KK and Minghao, my step children, have been passengers in my car since their arrival in February, so I figured they would have picked up a few pointers about driving in the US. NOT. They both have their learner's licenses, but it seems that their approach to driving is much like their approach to walking in China.

Here's my theory. In China, many people tend to walk with eyes forward and not be too concerned with people walking slightly behind them to the right or left. Peripheral vision is not used that much. You just walk and don't worry about too much. Minghao's driving is almost identical. He could care less about who's behind him or who's in the next lane as long as the car is not in front of him. This was most apparent when he pulled up to a yield sign, looked straight ahead and motored on. "Minghao, do you know what that sign says"? "Yes, yield". "Do you know what that means"? "Yes, it means that I can go if there are no cars around." "Okay, did you look to the left, right, or behind you"? "No, but I didn't see any cars in front of me."

Fortunately, there was no traffic, but my heart is just too old for this. :blink:

KK has yet to understand speed bumps. Actually, I don't either - always liked the German car commercial that went something like "We don't know who invented the speed bump, but we'll bet he wasn't German". KK has yet to venture onto the public roads, so we have been spending time in various parking lots. But, I can tell you that going 25 mph over a 10 mph speed bump does things to a car that were never engineered into the suspension. "Oops" is her usual response to the sound of bending steel and a car whose front end just went out of alignment. "S**t" is my usual response to my head being jerked around like a bobble doll. Not once, not twice, but every time. :blink: I'd better get that clunker soon or my car will surely end up in the shop. :o

You certainly do have your hands full. Have you considered enrolling them into a driving school? That's what I did for my wife. I felt that a professional driving instructer was needed to "introduce" my wife to the road.

Well, she completed the course and does okay.....~driving in a straight line!...lol. She needs to learn maneuverability, and as you pointed out, alertness.

I feel that she doesn't realize the consequences involved. It's frightening, to say the least. But in time, I think she will get the hang of it.

Well, good luck to us both, and doubly good luck to you!.... :blink:

You certainly do have your hands full. Have you considered enrolling them into a driving school? That's what I did for my wife. I felt that a professional driving instructer was needed to "introduce" my wife to the road.

Well, she completed the course and does okay.....~driving in a straight line!...lol. She needs to learn maneuverability, and as you pointed out, alertness.

I feel that she doesn't realize the consequences involved. It's frightening, to say the least. But in time, I think she will get the hang of it.

Well, good luck to us both, and doubly good luck to you!.... :blink:

Jingwen thinks that driving school is too expensive for the kids. I may have to try logic, like it's less expensive that a $4,000 repair bill or it's less expensive than a heart attack. :blink:

You're a smart man, Ty, and I bet you're holding up a lot better than I am.