Need to cancel Hukou

Hi All,

Candy's been really worried lately because she had some relatives who said that when you leave China you have to notify/cancel your permanent residence Hukou.

I haven't heard of this before. Does anyone know? Info would be greatly appreciated, I think it's causing her a lot of stress worrying about it.

P.J.

My understanding is that you do not want to cancel it or give it up to anyone. If later in life you guys want to move to China, maybe just for an extended stay, what ever, a HUkou is very handy to have. I have been told when they leave the Country with there visa to the USA thay are asked to give it up, Also been told to just say you lost it.... for what ever this is worth I would have her check into it before giving it up.

I haven't heard of it, when I left china, I didn't cancel my permanent residence Hukou, and they didn't require that. I have been here close to 2 years and back to china visiting family and everything is fine. Anyway permanent residence hukou is not that important nowadays, tell Candy there is definitely nothing to worry about.

THANK YOU everyone for the responses!!! She was really stressing about this, and I'm glad that y'all could help put this concern to rest.

BTW, Don, I still remember something you said ... "as the interview approaches, one tends to imagine every possible thing that might go wrong, and it starts to drive one crazy." I think I'm getting around that point. :D

P.J.

THANK YOU everyone for the responses!!!  She was really stressing about this, and I'm glad that y'all could help put this concern to rest.

BTW, Don, I still remember something you said ... "as the interview approaches, one tends to imagine every possible thing that might go wrong, and it starts to drive one crazy."  I think I'm getting around that point. :D

P.J.

Hey, PJ... update that timeline! :P That way we can worry with you ;) I know you posted the date before, but my memory is lousy :D

Hi PJ;

Bea read it and said. You can tell them you are leaving and they might even say you should but no one does.

When you go for citizenship in another country... than you will have to give up your Hukou but not before.

Bea is looking forward to that,but the way things are gong here in China in 3 years from now or when ever one makes the P.O.E. it might not be as urgent as they are able to travel to more of Europe now.

Don is right!! heheeh right up to the time she comes out and says... you will be worrying and sweating bullets!! heheh ...THEN>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> wooohoooo get a big rock and some long strings to keep you and her's feet on the ground!! :P ;) :D :P

Happy Ballooning..

Mark and Bea

• 2 months later...
I haven't heard of it, when I left china, I didn't cancel my permanent residence Hukou, and they didn't require that. I have been here close to 2 years and back to china visiting family and everything is fine. Anyway permanent residence hukou is not that important nowadays, tell Candy there is definitely nothing to worry about.

Actually, my darling is really stressed about this.

It all of the sudden IS important for two decisive reasons:

1. if you ever want to apply for a China Green Card, your husband/wife must have a Chinese Hukou that you apply to.

2. If your hukou is from certain more well to do cities, the chinese passport holder can easily go to/from hong kong / macau (and ultimately, when the taiwan province is fully back in the fold, to there to).

We were wondering if it would be possible for her to switch it to the home of a relative in the same city that she currently lives in now. If so, what is the procedure for doing this?

Thanks!!!

Hi PJ;

Bea read it and said. You can tell them you are leaving and they might even say you should but no one does.

When you go for citizenship in another country... than you will have to give up your Hukou but not before.

Bea is looking forward to that,but the way things are gong here in China in 3 years from now or when ever one makes the P.O.E. it might not be as urgent as they are able to travel to more of Europe now.

Don is right!! heheeh right up to the time she comes out and says... you will be worrying and sweating bullets!! heheh ...THEN>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> wooohoooo get a big rock and some long strings to keep you and her's feet on the ground!! :D :D  :D  :P

Happy Ballooning..

Mark and Bea

From what I have seen, once you have a US Green Card, it is a simple process of obtaining a visa to go to at least the Shengen region of the EU, as well as the UK. However, this is just from a few case examples of people I have talked with.

Does anyone else have familiarity in this subject?

Thanks all!

From what I have seen, once you have a US Green Card, it is a simple process of obtaining a visa to go to at least the Shengen region of the EU, as well as the UK.  However, this is just from a few case examples of people I have talked with.

Does anyone else have familiarity in this subject?

Thanks all!

Schengen Visa is not difficult at all to be issued for Chinese citizens who even dont have US Greed Cards. I traveled around EU quite a bit when I was studying in the UK before. I recall the process of Schengen visas were fairly easy. I have been a Chinese passport holder and not yet got the US Green card.

We are not allowed to have dual-citizenship in China. Therefore, once you apply for US passport/citizenship or whatsoever, you have to quit the Chinese Hukou. I have however learnt from some info. that some people still keep the Chinese ID sneakingly though they are already US citizens. :)

Rosey

Hi all

I think if you have one of the newer Hukou's they may cancel them, one that is based on the need to work in a paticular area...But if you hold your family Hukou then a family memeber can hold this for you indefintely.....this hukou is the household registary for work in the place of your birth..

My fiancee is going to not worry about her registration in shenzhen but keep her family hukou in the north where she was born.,.

Hope this helps .............Oscar & HuaQing

Hi all

I think if you have one of the newer Hukou's they may cancel them, one that is based on the need to work in a paticular area...But if you hold your family Hukou then a family memeber can hold this for you indefintely.....this hukou is the household registary for work in the place of your birth..

My fiancee is going to not worry about her registration in shenzhen but keep her family hukou in the north where she was born.,.

Hope this helps .............Oscar & HuaQing

Thank you very much for this!

Yes, it is a family Hukou. In fact, it was the same house that the grandparents lived in prior to the war with the Japanese. In fact, the family can trace its time back to the German Occupation of Qingdao and Yantai in the latter parts of the Qing Dynasty.

Would this qualify???

ps. she may not want to give up the hukou for shenzhen, as it allows her easy access to go to/from hk (unless the northern city is another one of those 18 permitted cities), if this is important to you. just a thought?

--------------------------------------

And about the Schengen visa: you said that you traveled on a student visa. I have heard that this is no problem. I also have met people on a business visa who have travelled. However, the question I have is how to get a personal tourist visa, not a group tourist visa, and not a business visa? I know that once one has a GC it is easy. However, I have heard nothing of problems from others. It seems that you may have done this, and if this is what you have done, could you share about how you overcame the documentary holds of the US$10,000 that is currently being requested (at least through the French Consulate in NYC)?

-----------------

Thanks again to all of you!