Hong Kong Anyone

Potential Problems:

In order of frequency:

1, Pre-negoitated price isn't honored

2, Taxi driver picks up other passengers

3, The tour version (this even happend with my Chinese wife in the taxi)

We had a taxi driver who actually had the audacidity (sp) to imply that he thought there were two White Swan Hotels after we corrected his direction.

We had a taxi driver in Nanjing getting angry at us for choosing another taxi instead of his. Once we were already inside the taxi, we could still see him cursing at us, and my darling called the taxi company to complain. He said he felt very embarrassed for me to see all this, this happened on my first trip to China. Later in Shanghai, I went shopping while he was working, he warned me to choose taxis with a specific color, as they were safer and reliable. What really caught my eye, was the fact that some of those drivers don't know their way around.

I've certainly ridden in my fair share of chinese taxis, and I've never had anything close to a problem. We've had a bunch of drivers getting lost, mostly in Beijing, and my gf simply won't stand for it. You get lost, you don't get the fare, it's that simple. The drivers I've dealt with seem to accept this without too much resistance.

As for hk vs gz, this is the first time I've heard of someone complaining about the gz side of things. I mean, really, you want to talk about getting ripped off, what better place than hk?