Flying out of Hong Kong

I think this question has been asked before, but I'm unclear of the answer.

My honey and I would like to fly from her hometown directly to Hong Kong, then fly to America from Hong Kong.

Can Chinese citizens fly out of Hong Kong (on a one-way ticket) with no problems? What problems does this pose? Will she need special permission to do that? Where would she get the permission to do so?

Guest blsqueaky

Jim, as long as she has visa in hand, or rather in her passport, no, it is not a problem. This is the way that Ling flew here from GZ, took the bus to HK, stayed the night, departed from HK to come here, and she had no problems whatsoever.

Be careful on this one. The first trip to Hong Kong I purchased my wife an airplane ticket from Guilin to Hong Kong. She was unable to use the ticket and we lost the $200 fare. She had to fly to Shenzhen and then go through the customs to enter Hong Kong.

I know your wife can enter Hong Kong (from Shenzhen) without buying the permit once she has her USA visa in hand but I am not sure if she can fly directly to the Hong Kong airport from the mainland. You may have to fly into Shenzhen, which is significantly cheaper, rather than flying into Hong Kong.

Her USA visa will get her into Hong Kong provided you show an airline ticket to the USA within 7 days of arriving in Hong Kong.

Be sure and check this out before you buy 2 one way tickets to Hong Kong from the mainland.

Good luck.

Jim, as long as she has visa in hand, or rather in her passport, no, it is not a problem. This is the way that Ling flew here from GZ, took the bus to HK, stayed the night, departed from HK to come here, and she had no problems whatsoever.

Has Ling gone back to China (mainland) since? I'm concerned because I know that Chinese citizens are only allowed to be in Hong Kong for a week at a time or something. And if they are in Hong Kong for longer than the limit, they can get in trouble.

I'm concerned that the next time my honey goes back to China to visit her family, the Chinese authorities might think she had been living in Hong Kong the whole time, which means she will have to *prove* she has been living in America the whole time, which seems easy to do, but a hassle nonetheless.

Guest blsqueaky

Has Ling gone back to China (mainland) since? I'm concerned because I know that Chinese citizens are only allowed to be in Hong Kong for a week at a time or something. And if they are in Hong Kong for longer than the limit, they can get in trouble.

I'm concerned that the next time my honey goes back to China to visit her family, the Chinese authorities might think she had been living in Hong Kong the whole time, which means she will have to *prove* she has been living in America the whole time, which seems easy to do, but a hassle nonetheless.

Jim, I have already planned her return trip back to GZ, and she is going by way of HK again, but remember, Ling is a K-3, so I am not sure if this makes a difference. I know that her good friend also left GZ, took the bus to HK, then flew home, and she was K-1. Ling will arrive in the evening, then leave by bus in the morning to GZ, then 6 weeks she will again take bus back to HK, and fly back home

No need to prove actually, because her passport will tell. When I went through HK to Paris I had no problem at all getting in HK without a HK pass. The custom will chop on the passport which shows the entry day and another chop says " visitors permitted to remain for 7 days from date entry as shown below". When you fly out from HK there will be another chop on the passport telling the date.

I suppose if your honey can show the custom officer the passport with american visa + air ticket, there will be no problem. But remember the airticket must be within 7 days from the day she sets your feet in HK. Or, just to make it secure, get her a HK pass. Should not be very troublesome.

Jim, I have already planned her return trip back to GZ, and she is going by way of HK again, but remember, Ling is a K-3, so I am not sure if this makes a difference. I know that her good friend also left GZ, took the bus to HK, then flew home, and she was K-1. Ling will arrive in the evening, then leave by bus in the morning to GZ, then 6 weeks she will again take bus back to HK, and fly back home

I took a shuttle bus from GZ directly to HK airport when I was about to fly to Paris. My airticket was in the afternoon and the bus ride was in the morning. When I went through the custom there was no problem at all because they could see I was about to fly out on that afternoon. But of course you can stay in HK for a few days. I don't think it would be any problem. Flying to SZ may be a good idea. Because accommodation in SZ is cheaper. HK is never attracted to me. :lol: