You just got to Love the OHIO DMV

Guest blsqueaky

Guest blsqueaky

Well today after getting bounced between 3 different people here at the local DMV, I was told to call the State office becuase they actually do not know. 1st person talked to, does she have passport and I-94, yes, then just bring in my birth certificate(I have no idea why), our marriage certificate. Okay, well we were married in China, hold please, now 2nd person, okay, you were married in China, then have you applied for SSN, no, have not because we have to wait for apporval for her work authorization permit, please hold, 3rd person, okay, have you received your 797c from back from INS. No, because we can not file AOS yet till we have approval from NSC regarding her I-130, which maybe another year, and about 6-8 months for SSN#. Ohh, then you have to call Columbus Driver Svcs, we really do not know.

Now try and call them, they are harder to get through than DOS or NVC. All you get is a busy signal. I am goingo to hate when I finally get through, how long on wait.

All of this just so that she can have a ID card with her photo so that she does not always have to carry her passport, so that she can also get a check cashing card from our local food store, just to use the ATM Debit Card, so that she can then show both.

Just have to love this state. blink.gifunsure.gifblink.gif

I'm beginning to think that author of "Catch 22" must have just finished an ordeal with visas, work authorizations, adjustment of status, SS cards, drivers licenses, and on and on and on. :blink:

A quick side note. Jingwen and the kids just got their SS cards - needed them for a variety of reasons, one of which was Georgia's requirement that they present them to get drivers licenses. KK, my ever so inquisitive daughter, asked why we had to take these cards to the DMV when the information that came with the cards said not to carry them on your person. :unsure:

Guest blsqueaky

Well finally got ahold of Cols DMV, and what fun this was. Now was told that all that I will need is her passport, I-94, her birth certificate, our marriage certificate and a letter from my employer stating the she is dependent on me. I told them that I am self employed, a truck driver, they said hold on, came back on the line and again stated that a letter from my employer on company letterhead. So I guess that I will have to get a letterhead made up, write the letter and sign it myself. Don't you just love it. :blink: :D

Sheesh! all this is making me dizzy. K-1 seems to be much easier.

First stop county records for certified copy of marriage licence.

Second stop Social Security Office. Fill out the application present the marriage license for name change, passport with I-94 inside and wait about 10 minutes while it is entered into the computer. Five days later it arrives in the mail.

Third stop DMV for state ID card. Present passport, a piece of mail addressed to her with postmark. (Social Security card envelope worked fine.)

Now her name is completely changed to my last name so we run over to the bank and put her on my bank account.

• 2 weeks later...

OMG I think I am lucky we went to SS office showed about 5 forms of ID all translated to English(our guy was clueless) he entered it into system and said it will be in the mail in a few weeks, then off to the court house to get marriage license showed passport, did not need ss card I think this week we will try for a learners permit and/or a state ID card.