Travel to China

I have been trying to sort through different airlines and frequent flyer programs.

On my last trip I chose China Southern, They are suppose to be a partner of Delta Airlines. They have so many restrictions that none of my miles to China were considered for the program. Aiya, what kind of partnership is that?

United seems to have flights to Hong Kong and their partner airlines miles have few restrictions.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I want a good frequent flyer program so I can build up miles and include any miles we use going to and from China...

Thanks,

Michael

I have been trying to sort through different airlines and frequent flyer programs.

On my last trip I chose China Southern,  They are suppose to be a partner of Delta Airlines. They have so many restrictions that none of my miles to China were considered for the program. Aiya, what kind of partnership is that?

United seems to have flights to Hong Kong and their partner airlines miles have few restrictions.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I want a good frequent flyer program so I can build up miles and include any miles we use going to and from China...

Thanks,

Michael

Having racked up many thousands of useless miles on Delta/China Southern, I'd have to agree that the partnership is not that good. I've also used United and since it flys directly to China (unlike Delta), I haven't had any problems with getting credit for the miles.

News Flash ... China Southern just joined Star Alliance! They formally signed the papers this weekend. I'm not exactly sure when they will actually join together, but it should happen soon. Hopefully before October :o

United is also a member of Star Alliance, which I think is a reliable "alliance", thus I would assume that United miles can be used on C.S. flights too (in the near future), or vice versa.

Hey Michael, hows it going ~?

Yeah, I have racked up hugh numbers of mile in the past on China Southern --- and even trying to USE them on China Southern has been daunting! (Tried a couple of years ago, and was unsuccessful --- maybe it has improved... Service workers couldn't speak any English, and when I wrote to them, never got a response)

I suggest for us on the west coast that the best partnership is NWA -- Alaska -- Hawaiian ---All have interchangable miles, and of course, the Alaska/Horizon (same miles program) --- flys by far the most flights out of PDX -- so you are most likely to use them anyway.. --- plus NWA is always running programs to offer free miles for really no big deal --- just sign up on their web side and get a thousand, for instance .... Since NWA has added the non-stop to Narita, they are now the least expensive airline to HK from Portland ($520.00 RT right now) --- and that gets you all your miles --- when Cathay Pacific runs their big discounts --- you don't get the miles... I also use the "World Perks" Visa card -- and get one mile per dollar --- so I have automatic payment of everything I can through that card -- but always pay it off completely every month. (hell, right now, they will give you 2500 miles just to sign up for automatic payment to pay off you card from a checking or savings account --- so now I don't even have to remember it!)

Anyway, in the last 18 months, I have flown only two round trips to Asia on NWA, and with all the promotions and the Visa payments, I now have more than enough miles for a free round trip to Asia on NWA, and almost enought for two free round trips to Hawai on Hawaiian (which is also offering a special promotion to sign up for THEIR Visa card --- 10,000 free miles ! So of course, I did that to! -- so nice to be wanted !)

So, Michael, still taking Chinese classses at NW China Council ?

--- Kim

Kim,

How was the trip?

Thinks are going pretty good. The application has found it's way to the NVC and is still be processed. I just have to take a deep breath and remember, it will get through in its own time.

Chinese classes are going good. I am getting ready to start the second term on the 20th. I keep teasing my fiancee if nothing else I will learn the phrase, "Aiya, wo bu dong Zhongwen, Zhongwen fuza, Mingkai Zhongwen ben" roughly translates to "Ah, shit.. I don't know Chinese. Chinese is confusing. Michael's Chinese stupid!" Who knows maybe in a few more decades I can learn enough to speak to someone...

Thanks for asking,

Michael