Restaurant in Guangzhou

I just wanted to post- for anyone going to the interview soon- there is a great restaurant in Guangzhou- it's called Dong Hai (Eastern Sea) and I think there are about four of them in Guangzhou. It's Cantonese and the best food I have ever had anywhere! We celebrated getting the visa there and it was the perfect place to go after such a long process.

Guest blsqueaky

Oh there are so many great restruants in GZ. I wish I could remember the name of the one where we had our reception(yes, I know I should remember), but I remember that it is about 10 min ride in Taxi along the river just past the park on the river. Usually in front is parked a Lambourginni and a Ferarri, and once in awhile a rolls. It is 3 stories, and the place is just about always packed. They even have ladies walking around in the old 70's style leather vests and mini-skirts with some of the different beers, like the heiniken girl is wearing green and white, bud girl, red and white. The food is just great and always fresh.

Well the wife returns and reminds me, it is the Dong Jiang Hai, plus there is also Lucy's on the island, menues in english, food not bad, but only take cash, and just across the street and down a little towards the white swan hotel, a couple more.

If you want to get pricey, the dinner buffet at the White Swan. Many, many selections, but pricey, $240RMB/couple

Dong Hai- is not on Shamian Island- It is pricey like the restaurants there- but my theory is this- the restaurants on Shamian don't have to have really good food to have customers- so- except for the Golden Bowl restaurant and a little teahouse right near the embassy (on the right side of the grassy, park-like divide) I didn't have good food. The Thai restaurant was especially bad.

Guest blsqueaky
Dong Hai- is not on Shamian Island- It is pricey like the restaurants there- but my theory is this- the restaurants on Shamian don't have to have really good food to have customers- so- except for the Golden Bowl restaurant and a little teahouse right near the embassy (on the right side of the grassy, park-like divide) I didn't have good food. The Thai restaurant was especially bad.

I am sorry that you got the wronog impression. I did not mean to say that the Dong Hai is on shamian. I do remember saying that it was about a 10 min taxi ride down to river, almost where the river tour bots dock. Now I really do not remember paying that much to eat there, and enjoyed it much.

Guest blsqueaky
Oh- actually I didn't think that Dong Hai and Dong Jiang Hai were the same place- but maybe so- anyway...

OK< here is the whole restruant name, dong jiaang nai xian jia lou, but abbreviate, dong jiang nai. If you would like, I will find the card that we have from there

Guest blsqueaky

Here is something that surprised me about some of the places that we went, and that was was showing a card, and this card came from the business, and I guess that this gave you a little discount. I know that in some of the places that Ling took me, she would pull out a card and show that with the bill. I never really asked since at one time she told me that at times, maybe 10% off, but if the meal is 40RMB, I for one am not going to worry about the discount. I just know that everywhere that she has taken me, I have so enjoyed, and so much fresh food.

Can not wait to go back again.

Thanks for the Restaurant tips~!

Yeah, OTRMark, I agree if you know a good restaurant in GZ close to the Consulate, it is a precious gift. When I was there in 1997 there was a combined open-air inside restaurant cattie-corner to the Victory -- very authentic Cantonese, very well prepared. Did an absolutely incredable business ~!! But was so reasonable in price, it was drawing from all over GZ..

And was a classic melting pot --- lots of US Ex-pats on business with the Consulate, lots of Parents with their new daughters --- and a very open attitude --- not like the Victory --- which can be rude to Americans --- I often thought that some Chinese business people actually ate there just to make contact with Americans --- so the whol place was crowded but friendly ----

Then back in 2001 --- Gone. Building is in use, but not a restaurant...

Last September, Fei took me to a Hunanise restaurant just across the Pearl river from the White Swan on the restaurant row there --- she liked it, I thought it was just so, so.. But looks like there must be severl good resaurants along the strand....

Away from the consulate. Across from the park by the river-almost across from the spot in the park you can buy a shot of whiskey. Lots of little shops in that one block. The restaurant is around half way down the block. I think there is around five restaurant on that block. You will know it because it will be the one with the longest line. My stepdaughter said it is named Qiao Mei, that is the pinyin spelling--I don't know the characters for it--but ¨ªf you really wanna know-I'll get the Chinese translator (my stepdaughter) and post them thar wiggly squiggly Chinese writin' thingy's fer ya. It is YUMMY!!!!!!