No English, No Marriage

Here's an interesting twist on language. Jingwen has a friend now living in Chicago who came over on a K-1. Apparently, she and her fiance went to get married, but when the "I do" question was posed to her, she said she didn't understand English very well. The magistrate refused to marry them. :o

Never heard of this before.

Here's an interesting twist on language.  Jingwen has a friend now living in Chicago who came over on a K-1.  Apparently, she and her fiance went to get married, but when the "I do" question was posed to her, she said she didn't understand English very well.  The magistrate refused to marry them. :o

Never heard of this before.

Also never heard of this, wish the would-be hubby was a member here. But it makes sense in that there must be something in the legalities of making a contract where you have to understand what you are doing. And that grand, elegant old set of vows "to have and to hold . . . " would be difficult to translate into Chinglish so she really did not understand. They might need to make a trip to the Elvis chapel in Las Vegas.

When I talked to the JP before our wedding I explained that Bing has a hard time hearing English sometimes but reads english fine.so I wanted the vows short. He asked me "she does know she is getting married right?" I laughed and told him yes. When we got there they had the vows all typed out so she could read them first. She did well and only stumbled a little on the repeat after me part.