Thanks Darrell, but unfortunately there isn't a Sam's Club within 100 miles of Portland, OR.  We have Wal-Mart, but they don't sell rice cookers there.  I've tried a lot of discount stores, none of them sell rice cookers.

I'm kind of surprised by this actually.  They sell bread makers, muffin makers, waffle irons, potato cookers, noodle extruders, all sorts of meat grilling devices, egg fryers, deep fryers, pancake griddles, etc, etc, all that stuff, but no rice cookers!

It seems that out here the only place to get rice cookers are Asian grocery/specialty stores, and the cheapest I've seen is $60 but that was for (what I will call) a "travel-sized" rice cooker with just an on/off switch and that's it  :(   Yeah, I think after I buy the converter, transformer, adapter and so forth, it will all probably cost about the same.

Go to the chinese store on 82nd and Foster they have them there for about 29 dollars

I have a really great rice cooker, it only cost me about $6.  I've seen them in all the stores too.  Really simple to operate.  It's called a pot with a lid.

That sounds expensive. :( My fiance taught me how to use a tupperware bowl in the microwave. That's gotta only be around US$2 at the most. You do have to have a microwave though.