Sleeping together can be tough

Hey guys this could be a serious problem for some of you.

some of you may be  suffering from a disease  call sleep apnea and should get it check out.

others may have too  many pillows which can be corrected by removing pillows

A little extra weight will make it worst.

Terrence & Linda

I know I have sleep apnea but cannot tolerate the mask. When I get the energy I'll have the surgery and --no more snore-no more stopping breathing during sleep.

Actually, I'm not the one who suffers from sleep apnea. I Can't hear me when I'm asleep but that 98lb fireball I call darlin'can---and she doesn't like to wake up to tell me to shutup---she says she can do that in the daytime.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Initially, we shared a full spring Mattress bed. She complained that the bed is too small and too soft. Also, the bed will move when one person moved around. She spent two months sleeping on the floor. So I bought two twin beds with latex mattress. Latex bed doesn't move and it is very comfortable. So we are not sleeping together. Then she complained about my snoring and chose to sleep on opposite side (my head facing her feet and her head facing my feet). Still she complained. The complains are making me crazy. :blink:

Yeah, Tony,

Sounds like a tough situation....

I have a friend who apparently snores, and he is a very strong, macho guy, but his wife finally told him to get out of the bed, and get out of "her" bedroom!

Now he sleeps in a seperate bedroom...... This is a real issue for a lot of couples!

This morning I woke up around 5:50 AM to go to bathroom. Then I decided to get something to eat since my wife will have to wake up for school in about 20 minutes. I was very quiet but she woke up anyway and complained. She had sleeping problems in China too. However, she seems to blame her sleep disorder on me. Not too good. I have to video myself while sleeping to make sure I am actually snoring loudly. She can't even sleep with a fan or AC running.

I guess I am one of the lucky ones, unless Yunling is keeping quiet about it. hell, last time I was there, we had a room with 2 single beds. her daughter slept in one and both of us were in the other, it was me that had trouble sleeping as she seems to have the ability to push me onto the edge of the bed and she slept like a log. Probably the only concern I have is that my bed will be toooooooooo soft, beds there are like sleeping on a 1/2 inch of foam on top of a 4x8 piece of plywood. :rolleyes:

This morning I woke up around 5:50 AM to go to bathroom. Then I decided to get something to eat since my wife will have to wake up for school in about 20 minutes.  I was very quiet but she woke up anyway and complained. She had sleeping problems in China too.  However, she seems to blame her sleep disorder on me.  Not too good.  I have to video myself while sleeping to make sure I am actually snoring loudly.  She can't even sleep with a fan or AC running.

give her some melatonin(sp)

Thank goodness we don't have this problem. A few years ago, when I was heavier I used to snore quite awfully, it seems 220 lbs is the magic number. 215 like a baby... 225 like a wind tunnel.

I'm well under that these days anyway, so no problem. :(

I used to snore so loud friends said they took me camping to scare the bears away (I'm from Alaska). My friends would sleep several feet from me. I used to wake myself up with my snoring. I also only slept 4 1/2 to 5 hours a night. During the night I would wake up several times. All this changed when I bought my latest mattress, a "Sleep Number" bed - no I don't work for them. The first night on it I slept 8 hours straight through. Now I average around 7 hours. I hardly ever wake up at night any more. I seldom turn in bed and often find myself in the same position as when I went to bed and the sheets hardly moved. Each side has its own control to set your "sleep number" to the correct comfort zone. The best mattresss I've ever bought. Only problem now is I used to love to read in bed, now I can't hardly stay awake - I fall asleep within minutes of laying down. Also great for back problems.

I used to snore so loud friends said they took me camping to scare the bears away (I'm from Alaska). My friends would sleep several feet from me. I used to wake myself up with my snoring. I also only slept 4 1/2 to 5 hours a night. During the night I would wake up several times. All this changed when I bought my latest mattress, a "Sleep Number" bed - no I don't work for them. The first night on it I slept 8 hours straight through. Now I average around 7 hours. I hardly ever wake up at night any more. I seldom turn in bed and often find myself in the same position as when I went to bed and the sheets hardly moved. Each side has its own control to set your "sleep number" to the correct comfort zone. The best mattresss I've ever bought. Only problem now is I used to love to read in bed, now I can't hardly stay awake - I fall asleep within minutes of laying down. Also great for back problems.

Wow, that is interesting, will have to check that out. Together with using my CPAP machine that would be excellent.

I did not notice your first eight posts. Did you tell a bit about yourself in the Our Stories board? I wonder what Chinese people think about Alaska. I would bet that no one from south China could handle it.

Tony,

The first thing I noticed about your post was that you were blaming her for not being able to sleep. I'm not saying you should blame yourself, but work on the problem together.

You've gotten lots of ideas here, I've heard great things about the Sleep Comfort bed. Sleep apnea, boy I'd hate to have to sleep with a mask and air tank. I little wine before bed, hmmm, sounds like she might need a lot of wine, hell, just dose her up with sleeping pills, only kidding. Seperate beds? In another house maybe.

OK, here's my 2 cents. Your wife is a light sleeper, noise wakes her up right away, she has to train herself to accept a little noise, some white noise. I live 1/4 mile from a busy train crossing, I get blasted several times a night by the train horn. One of the ways I get over that is by playing some soft music or a hypnosis tape. (More about hypnosis later).

It doesn't have to be music, but I want something that will cover up the sound of the train horn. If music is too much for her, try an appliance that maintains the same sound all night, white noise. Window A/C's fluctuate, but a fan or a humidifier will be a constant noise that drowns out other noises. Once she gets used to it, she won't notice other sounds, like you getting up to get a midnight snack.

White noise won't be enough to cover up the snoring though. That's something you do and something you'll have to fix. My hypnotherapy instructor swore that he trained himself, through hypnosis, not to snore. He claimed that snoring is not a natural state anyway, it's a reflection of being too tired.

I'd recommend seeing a hypnotherapist to stop snoring. It's not common to think of this, but hypnosis isn't just for losing weight or to quit smoking. I'd also recommend that your wife try it so that she can sleep better. I've never treated someone for snoring, but I have treated people for better sleep and it does work.

One tool that is useful and is like white noise also, is a tape or CD of subliminal relaxation, it'll usually have the sound of the ocean or something like that. I found one on Snoring just now. Here's one for better sleeping, you guys might want to try these out.

Otherwise, practice the sleeper hold on her, make her pass out and voila!, problem solved.