Employment

Guest gober

Guest gober

Hello Everyone,

I am new here. I have read many of the posts as a guest, you are all very informative and helpful, Thankyou. I have a question, I might be layed off from my work place and I was wondering if filing for unemployment will have any effect on my affidavit of support for my wife? she is concerned that I will not be able to "insure" her to get her visa. Does anyone have any info in this area? I am waiting for my NOA2 from MSC.

Thanks,

Andy

As for getting the visa if you can get a letter from your employer saying it's a permanent position (not temp) and your income tax records show you make enough to cover the poverty guidelines you will be alright. Where you may run into trouble is filing for AOS once she is here.

First let me say welcome to CFL. I think Carl is Correct. However, your still a while from yoru interview so I doubt you plan on being unemployed until then.

Welcome to CFL. It might be a good idea to go ahead and get that letter from your employer before a possible layoff. Getting such a letter after a layoff will probably not do any good since the former employer will have to disclose whether you are still employed. Hopefully, you will be employed by the time the I-134 is needed (for the interview) and your current or new employer's letter will do the trick. If everything else fails, a co-sponsor could be lined up just in case.

The GZ website says that the I-134 is not a required document as long as you can demonstrate that your fiancee will not become a public charge. In fact, the VO didn't even bother to look at my I-134 when Jingwen went for her interview.