Home from First Road Trip in Truck

Guest blsqueaky

Guest blsqueaky

Hello Everyone,

Well finally home, and what a week. Well the week started on Saturday when we went to the airport to pick up the car, then on our way. We got about 2 hours away when it was time for a pit stop, so we pulled into the first rest area in Idiana, got out of the car, and Ling asked, pay money, how much. I had to remind her that she is not in China now, do not have to pay. I was not going to try and explain that they are already paid for with taxes. After the stop, on our way to meet with Tine and Ella. Very nice couple. Caught them in the middle of a move. After Ella and Ling where done talking, I think that I made a mistake going there, they were talking about us having baby. Remember, I am 49 and Ling is 47. On our way out, Ella proceeded to tell me not to come back unless Ling and I where going to have a baby. :angel: :(

Well back on the road. One thing that Ling noticed on the drive to Iowa, and she stated with the help of her translator, she could not believe how vast and abundant the land was here. She called home, and the family told her to take many photos, so there she was in the car, going down the road and clicking away.

Finally got the truck on Tuesday, first load that night. Before we move into the truck, they tell us to check it out, so her was Ling walking around the truck with me, and finding things wrong that I did not see right away. I thought for sure that she was going to have some prolems at first, but when I told her to just go back to the bed, then no problem. Only problem was the frequent potty breaks. Now I have to find me a small porta potty for the truck. Every 2- 3 hours, stop. :D :D

By the 3rd day, she was totally adapted to the truck, sleeping while going down the road. When I stopped, she would wake, potty, then jump up in the top bunk. She said husband drive, so need bottom bunk to myself so I can sleep. What a wife.

Friday she got pissed at the company. We where sitting all day waiting, and she said company no good, you sit, make no money. Thursday, spent all day shagging 2 loads in Chicago. She could tell that I was pissed, she got worried, started to cry, said that she know that I like to drive long, and that if she went back to China for awhile, she would not be a burden. Took awhile to convince her that all was okay and not worry. She tell me find a new job driving, ack OTR, so I guess that I will start looking to make her happy. Ohh, she was also not very happy with the condition of the inside of the truck. Was not detailed.

Well for now I can say that she does enjoy it. Home for a few days, then back out again on Wednesday. She can not wait.

Will keep everyone informed. Till later.

Mark and Ling

Thanks for the update. Really enjoyed the part about going thru Iowa. The waiting is just part of trucking, not something to be pissed off about. And if you do a favor for the dispatcher with taking care of some crappy little city work then he will appreciate it and give you a whole string of good runs. She will have to learn so much to be able to really enjoy it. Go buy her a detailing kit. All drivers have to clean their own truck. I liked the way she was a good safety inspector, did you teach her to thump the tires?

What a great story. A long time ago in a far off place I drove OTR for 6 years. I swore I would never never never never do that again. But, now that I only drive to the local walmart, I kinda miss it. I think it would be a great experience for me and Fang Ling to become professional tourists. Problem is, like so many chinese, she isn't used to riding. She gets dizzy on long trip (to the Walmart 20 miles away) and I can't pass the DOT physical, although I never could before either but they tell me it isn't so easy to sign a doctors name anymore.

Hmmmmm, show my darlin'the country, get paid, and have someone to keep the truck clean. Of course she would make me stop every hour or so to wipe off the bottom of the tires.

Guest blsqueaky

Robert, I agree, but remember, they think in their own ways, and even after I did this little crap, he asked me to do it again. Robert, I have to respect her ways in some way, and what she is thinking, and what scares me, I have to agree. Now Robert, as far as pickiing up new truck at company, now they detail, and when we got, find food stains on cupboards, shelves missing, and the act that the passenger door does not even close right, wind blowing through it, now come on!!!!

Trigg, she is loving it, plus with my job, she is just not seeing the interstates, but also the side roads, the small towns.

Now I have to update a little more here, one thing that she was doing while we travelled, she would pick up the atlas, find where we were, then look it up in her translater and learn to pronounce, just so that she could learn..

Like I said earlier, she is adapting so quick. I can not belive.

Thanks everyone

Now I have to update a little more here, one thing that she was doing while we travelled, she would pick up the atlas, find where we were, then look it up in her translater and learn to pronounce, just so that she could learn..

All right, that is impressive!!! Proper names are really difficult, especially the Indian names.

Another great post Squeek!

Hey, in 1977 I worked as a founderyman at one of the world's biggest heat treating facilities (Varco International) In Orange CA...

Varco took in a lot of outside work, but its roots were pipe handling tools for the oil drilling industry ----some really HUGE castings and fabrications...

There was a trucking firm that handled all the oil-drilling stuff we did --- out of Texas and full of attitude --- can't remember their name --- and that has bothered me in the recent past.

.... they would drive their rigs right into furnace building ---open ended, and HUGE if they had the opportunity --- actually squared off with one of the drivers during my shift (late swing) --- about that one time...

---- I was in my prime, he backed down...

Since there are several here with OTR experience, maybe someone can help identify the Trucking Co. ??

--- Always had the "Stars & Bars" cris - crossed over the grill, and, if memory serves --- were driving Kenworth.

Always flatbeds when they visited us, but that may have been the nature of our business .... heavy overhead cranes to load em'

---Kim

Hmm stars and bars across the grill and out of Texas. Sounds like about a million owner operators I have met. I do recall one flatbed outfit out the south called "Southern Cross Trucking" I don't remember what the trucks looked like though.

Guest blsqueaky
Hey, Squeek! What a trip.

Sounds like ya need to get a truck cleaning kit put together so she can 'help'. Trust me, she will appreciate being able to contribute.

Don, all taken care of now and already in the truck.

Would you also believe, so ar no clothesline in the truck. I know that it will happen soon, but for now, no worry about waking in the middle of the night and strangling myself.