Videotape proving communication

I am going to China soon. The main purpose of my trip is to make the much discussed videotape to prove communication between myself and my fiance. As I understand it, the recording should be at least five minutes long. Each of us will speak as much as possible in each others language...we will also use hand signals and my translator, which speaks

out entire sentences.

The video will feature on-screen date, and I will introduce myself and my fiance before we launch into conversation.

Question...do I need to videotape in a public place, or can we do it in the privacy of her home? Can we record anywhere we please?

I welcome any additional video tips you may have..Please respond, my China Southern Air flight leaves in a day!

The video can be filmed anywhere you like but while I was in GZ to appeal Bing's blue slip asking for a video there was another couple there who shot theirs in a noisy resturant. They were denied again because the VO couldn't hear them clearly. If you speak Chinese then by all means share the time. If the object is to prove she can speak english then let her do most of the talking. Here is what we did. we sat down at the table and held up a copy of the daily paper to prove what day it was. We made sure to keep our hands visible . We then proceeded to carry on a spur of the moment non rehearsed normal conversation talking about some mutual friends of ours. At one point we stumbled on a word Bing didn't know and used the pocket translator. The object is to prove how you communicate. It can be with pocket translator smoke signals morse code what ever. As the consular official at the weekly info session said "you just have to prove the relationship works"

Thanks Carl....Neither of us is fluent, but we both understand the words and phrases we have repeated throughout the relationship. We will share the conversation....I know maybe 30 chinese words...My fiance can understand key words in phrases and respond. We are reliant on the translator for detailed conversation... but it all works. Yes I think we will record at her home where it is quiet...By the way, the newspaper is a great idea!

MTBDUDE--

The tape should be submitted on VHS tape...I will record in Hi 8 format, then have the recording transferred to VHS at a Guangzhou electronics store. I believe "Computer City" will do this for a fee.

It is best to have the transfer made IN CHINA...Their VHS is technically different, so an American made VHS will not be compatible with their machines...Remember, have the VHS dub made on a Chinese VHS machine.

China and most of Europe use PAL format for TV and video.

The USA uses NTSC.

I have only seen the Embassy specify VHS (so presumably MPG, VCD, or DVD will not work). They don't seem to specify PAL or NTSC, so I assume they will accept either format (they are the US Embassy, after all)y. It may be slightly preferable to use PAL format. You can get it converted in a good photo shop either in the USA, or in China.

Both individuals must be in the same room for the filming, and the Embassy aparently does not like videochat transcripts.

The official request is for a video showing the US Citizen speaking and writing Chinese, but communication between the two seems to be the accepted type of tape.

----- Clifford ------

I've read this several times before that the "official" request is for the American guy to be speaking and writing Chinese on the video. I've also always been completely floored by this "official" request. Why in the world would they want the American guy to speak and write Chinese? The girl is going to live in America for God sake. I'm so confused by this. I understand that they really overlook this and just accept that the couple communicating any which way they can. My fiancee speaks pretty good English. And I'm going to make a video of us talking in English. I know only about 5 words of Chinese and I sure as heck don't know how to read and write Chinese. Of course my fiancee has promised to teach me to speak some Chinese but give me a break Consulate!!!!!!!!

I'll chime in with Carl and Bing on this one, we did the tape with them.

It is again the unclearness of the gov and you may even get a number of different answers from the same office from different people there.

VHS it is and PAL it should be. Yes the VHS seems out dated technology and who knows why. But for a straight up experience this actually worked . again ask Carl and Bing. (VHS PAL)

Also even their blue paper requesting they provide this tape stated he had to speak Chinese. Again why this is so and why the forms have not been up dated to reflect the true (What from experience has been accepted) acceptable request I don't know.

I believe if this process were a person they would be considered a pathological liar with anti social tendencies and perhaps a borderline personality type. Suitable for medication and confinement or close supervision. But ask Trigg to be sure..:P

In the end and from a source at the embassy, again ask Carl. A tape showing communication, such that a reasonable person (MY words) would think there is the basis for a relationship.

Now I have heard rumors they are starting a collection to raise money to print new forms written in plain english and update from 1869 to 2004 and as soon as they recieve word to purchase the hat to pass around.. all systems are go!!

mark and Bea