Q about green card interview

My green card interview is in July.  Is there any advice? thanks!

We just had ours on the 28 of last month. We took quit a lot of things with us to show that we are getting along and this and that. We took pictures, bills with Jennifers name on it, our marriage papers and a statement from our bank that she has a savings account.

These are things that we should have taken:

Letters from friends that tell about our marraige and if they think it is working or not.

A letter form the place where I work at that says that she is on my Life Insurance policy.

A statement from Delta showing the Sky Miles that I have from the 3 times that I have been to China.

The lady told us that the letters from friends have to be notarized. I am not really sure why they want the statement from Delta, I have never heard of them wanting that before. We had the ticket stubs and boarding passes, but they still wanted that.

The interview itself was really easy, no problems at all.

Good luck to you, :huh:

My green card interview is in July.  Is there any advice?   thanks!

We just had ours on the 28 of last month. We took quit a lot of things with us to show that we are getting along and this and that. We took pictures, bills with Jennifers name on it, our marriage papers and a statement from our bank that she has a savings account.

These are things that we should have taken:

Letters from friends that tell about our marraige and if they think it is working or not.

A letter form the place where I work at that says that she is on my Life Insurance policy.

A statement from Delta showing the Sky Miles that I have from the 3 times that I have been to China.

The lady told us that the letters from friends have to be notarized. I am not really sure why they want the statement from Delta, I have never heard of them wanting that before. We had the ticket stubs and boarding passes, but they still wanted that.

The interview itself was really easy, no problems at all.

Good luck to you, :D

Thank you. You got your green card on 28, right?

Guest Long_strider

The primary purpose of the AOS interview is to complete some final paperwork, have the individual swear and attest to certain things (e.g. Have you ever been a member or a subversive group attempting to overthrow the US government, etc). It is also used to help validate the marriage. Various office request different levels of proof. Bringing documents such as a rental agreement or utilities bill with both of your names on it proving that you are in the same residence is helpful. Pictures of the wedding may be helpful, copies of life insurance policies where showing he/she is the beneficiary. Copies of documents showing purchasing a car, house or other large investment. Joint Bank account with the checks printed in both names. Letters from friends or family members attesting to the relationship etc.

We provided only some pictures, a joint checking account, and a rental agreements. The person barely looked at any of the documents. Other officers in different offices may request a mountain of documents. It is difficult to determine, because they are all different. (Unfortunately, creating ssome anxiety on our part).

Like the interview in GZ, be prepared. I don't think "overkill of documents" are necessary. If the things you present are not enought, they will simply ask for more things. Then you will have to jump through additional hoops to get these documents. You can have some of the documents notarized if you think that would be helpful. Letters from private individuals could be easily forged, so if the BCIS/UCIS/INS is concerned they might request notarized letters attesting that the author of the letter is really who they say they are. Again, this feels like a bit overkill by the INS.

The Interview is usually relatively benign unless they have some unusal concerns about the couple. Potential red flags might be things like a large disparity in age. In that circumstance it would be wise to have many supporting documents to avoid any questions.

I suspect that in many cases people overprepare, go to the AOS interview and it is a breeze. They leave wondering...Why the heck did I stress so much about this? Others who are underprepared run into a small snag that blows up into requests for multiple documents. Spend some time on the process and documents. After the AOS interview the next major step is two years down the road.

With regards to getting the actual "Green Card" that is not handed out at the AOS interview, it is sent in the mail. Ours came about 3-4 weeks after the interview along with a NOA Welcome to America letter.

Good Luck on your Interview!!

P.S. sorry for my long post, I tend to ramble in my old age

:D

long_strider