YaHoo Instant Messenger

I am glad you brought this topic up.  Jennifer used to talk to her parents all of the time with the Yahoo Voice Chat.  It seams now when she tries to connect it says that the server is having trouble connecting and that it is trying to reconnect, but never does.  Has anyone else had this problem?  How did you fix it?

Thanks a million,

Are you behind a firewall?

Yea, thats the problem. Yahoo has told me that it is the firewall, but I dont have any idea how to config it for the Yahoo Voice Chat, any ideas? I have written Nortin and asked for a manual of how to config there program, but havent gotten a response back yet. I am going to guess that they are going to tell me to use there online support page, but that takes me back to square one again, I dont have any idea how to do these type of things.

I went to that web page that you had the link for, am I supposed to do this:

If neither of the above options work, you're probably behind a firewall or proxy server that requires you to enter its address. Follow these steps:

Open the Login menu in Messenger.

Click on Preferences, then click on the Connection tab.

Click on Use proxies. Here you can enter your firewall and/or proxy server's address and port number. Contact your network administrator (if you're at work), or your Internet service provider (if you're at home) to determine the correct firewall and proxy settings.

If I am, I dont have any idea how to do this :redblob: :angry: :redblob: Have any of you had to do this to get the Yahoo Voice Chat to work?

I am guessing you are using Norton firewall a software based firewall I don't know much about that software but somewhere in the setup/config you need to open a port up for Yahoo voice I am sure there will be something in the FAQ/How-to section of Norton support page. I will try to find more info.

The port port that needs to be opend in order to work is for Yahoo's streaming ads.  :redblob:

Within your firewall you will need ports 80 (HTTP) or 1755 (UDP, TCP) opened and free of filters. You will also need to allow calls to the '63.250.215.*' range of IP addresses, and the below URL domains:

*.yahoo.com

*.yimg.com

*.akamai.net

Certain firewalls, such as Norton Internet Security also contain ad removal features that may be enabled. You will need to disable or configure these to permit streams from LAUNCHcast.

Information on configuring the Norton ad removal software may be found here.

How to manually configure Ad Blocking strings

Situation:

This document describes Ad Blocking strings and how to add, modify, or remove strings in Norton Internet Security (NIS), Norton AntiSpam (NAS), or Norton Personal Firewall (NPF).

Solution:

Two methods of Ad Blocking

Ad Blocking provides a predefined (Defaults) Ad Blocking list that is used to determine which images should be blocked when displaying Web pages.

You can control whether Ad Blocking displays specific ads by creating a list of HTML text strings that identify individual ads.

What are "Ad Blocking strings" and why are they important?

"Ad Blocking strings" or "HTML strings" are sections of Web addresses. If any part of a file's address matches the list of strings that Ad Blocking keeps, then it automatically blocks the file.

What happens when Ad Blocking is enabled?

All Web pages are scanned for the strings specified in the (Defaults) list. Ad Blocking looks for blocked strings within those parts of Web pages that present advertising. If strings match those on its list, those parts are removed by Ad Blocking before the page appears in the Web browser.

Deciding exactly what to block

Here are some examples of how to narrow down the part of the address to block:

Make sure that what you place in the Defaults block list isn't too general. For example, www by itself is not a good string to block because almost every URL includes www. A string like www.uninvitedads is more effective because it only blocks graphics from the uninvitedads domain without affecting other sites.

Adding uninvitedads.com to the (Defaults) block list means that everything in the uninvitedads.com domain is blocked. If you are more specific and add the string nifty_images/image7.gif to the sites-pecific block list maintained for www.uninvitedads.com, you block only that particular image.

Blocking all images on a particular site may make that site unusable. A good compromise is to block only the directories that contain ads. For example, if www.uninvitedads.com stores its ads in /nifty_images/ and its navigational images in /useful_images/, you could block www.uninvited.com/nifty_images/ without seriously impeding your ability to use the site.

Permit strings

You can create permit strings that allow Web sites to display images that match the string. This allows you to override the blocking effect of any string in the (Defaults) block list for individual sites. Permit rules take precedence over Block rules on any site.

To add an Ad Blocking string

You can add strings to the Ad Blocking list for all sites or for individual sites.

Open NIS, NAS or NPF.

Double-click Ad Blocking.

In the Ad Blocking window, click Advanced.

On the left side of the Advanced window, do one of the following:

To block a string on all Web sites, click (Defaults).

To block a string on a Web site in the list, select the site's name.

To block a string on a Web site not in the list, click Add Site, then in the New Site/Domain dialog box, type the site's address.

On the Ad Blocking tab, click Add.

In the Add New HTML String dialog box, select the action that you want to take. Your options are:

Block - Block ads matching this string.

Permit - Allow ads matching this string.

Type an HTML string to block or permit.

Click OK.

When you are done, click OK to close the Advanced window.

Click OK to close the Ad Blocking window.

To modify or remove an Ad Blocking string

If you later decide that an Ad Blocking string is too restrictive, not broad enough, or not appropriate, you can change or remove it.

In the Norton AntiSpam main window, double-click Ad Blocking.

In the Ad Blocking window, click Advanced.

In the left side of the Advanced window, do one of the following:

To modify or remove a string from the (Defaults) list, click (Defaults).

To modify or remove a site-specific string, click the site's name.

In the HTML string list, select the string that you want to change.

Do one of the following:

To modify a string, click Modify, then type your changes.

To remove a string, click Remove.

When you are done, click OK to close the Advanced window.

Click OK to close the Ad Blocking window.

Guest hakkamike

This is to the guys and gals that think that web cams provide enough evidence to the VO as far as communication between you two, it is too far easy to get logged on to your web cam and then tell one or the other to call me for 2.5 to 4 cents a minute every time for 30 minutes or so with a carrier that you can get a online phone log from. The bottom line is they still want to see phone records, real letters and real pictures.

Later, Michael Perez

I find that YaHoo Instant Messenger is  a very economical  way to communicate with the better half in China.  We spend 90 to 120  free minutes each day which is greatly improving her English skills. My biggest concern is how to prove that we spend this much time chatting  with each other.  Any suggestions from anyone that may be familiar with YaHoo messenger? :blink:

http://www.onesuite.com/

use this and can cll for 2 1/2 cents a min and they keep record of your calls and then you can print them,,good luck

I was planning on asking the same question. Hai Yan and I communicate almost exclusively on Yahoo mesenger, because there are no additional costs once you have a web camera and are connected to the internet. But I have been unable to print out complete logs of archived messages with a date. The best I can do, is get a printout of a partial log with a time stamp. If you take Video of Yahoo messenger, maybe you can print the date on your camcorder, but at any rate this seems a cumbersome and questionable method of verifying communication.

I submitted some of these partial logs with my I-129F along with some limited phone bills and lots of pictures. The I-129F was approved at USCIS, but I am concerned that the level of proof might be higher at Ghongzhou.

Any other ideas about proving you have an ongoing relationship when you only use Yahoo messenger? What is the level of proof required?

Personally I have lots of pictures since I spent 3 1/2 weeks in China. I am also planing another trip in October during the National Day holiday season. But what will be needed to satisfy Ghongzhou?

This is a good question elcajongr!!!

AOL messenger prints it all with date and time