It has been great being a member of the CFL community. I actually feel it as part of my identity now. My wife enjoys when I tell her about my posts about her, and she likes to hear about the other ladies.

Yesterday I found two cans of canned corn taking up space in the refrigerator, come to find out it was the daughter who put them there. When I took them out she protested saying in China people always do that. :D

There is no end to it, is there? Today Ping showed me some really weird looking stuff in a plastic bag in the freezer that our daughter's boyfriend's mother gave her in Fujian province recently. Ping described the stuff as "coming from the turtle family, not turtle, not meat, but another something, it is for when your heart has too much fire, you eat this and it makes the fire down," which it better be something really special for the price of 650 RMB for about a half a pound.

She has almost got me trained to eat anything. Now when I ask her what something is she tells me "I don't know." :D

This is just too much fun. Other people don't know what they are missing.

No, it is not black or jellylike, it kind of looks like dried meat. But I do know what you are talking about with the black stuff, that is black fungus, which I like, and it is good for your throat. Hey, that reminds me I am supposed to go eat my jujube fruit, white fungus and peanut soup tonight.

• 6 months later...
No, it is not black or jellylike, it kind of looks like dried meat.  But I do know what you are talking about with the black stuff, that is black fungus, which I like, and it is good for your throat.  Hey, that reminds me I am supposed to go eat my jujube fruit, white fungus and peanut soup tonight.

I am playing around looking through some old posts for fun and I can totally relate to this one. I've had all this stuff.

The description of the soup is too funny. Think I've had it too.

I ate some stuff my wife calls 'bean's curds' I assume it soy. It comes dried in a ball shaped, she soaks it in water then cooks it. Its real mushy but elastic so it keeps something of it ball shape after it cooked. It does not taste bad but the mushy texture is nothing my western palette is use to.

Speaking of black and jelly like, last month in Guangzhou Fei and I kept coming across preserved duck eggs in the various dishes we ordered at restaurants .... (even though this wasn't a listed ever as an ingredient...) ---- and I have nothing against it ---- but like, 4 meals in a row?? ..... So I told Fei --- no more!

Now she is here in Portland, and I opened a can of black olives to add to a greens dish I was making .... "Whats that ~!?" :D ... she said..... "just think of it as preserved duck egg" ... I said...

Turn About is definately Fair Play ~! :D

"coming from the turtle family, not turtle, not meat, but another something, it is for when your heart has too much fire, you eat this and it makes the fire down," which it better be something really special for the price of 650 RMB for about a half a pound.  

first of all... this was hilarious. i am still laughing. i think in china as long as something was at one time or another alive and that if eating it doesn't kill you then.... it is in some way it must be "good for your health".... that is of course, unless it is served cold.

secondly, i don't thinik i deserve to be posting on this thread. see my blue thingies... not to many of em. :lol:

"coming from the turtle family, not turtle, not meat, but another something"

That reminds me. When I was in an open market with my wife in Shanghai, there was some of those creatures, in a tank, alive and for sale to eat. I said to my wife, 'look turtles' and she said the about same thing 'coming from the turtle family, not turtle' Looked like a turtle to me. Hard green curved shell like a turtle, retractable head, arms and legs like a turtle. So why is it not a turtle???????????? she could not answer.

:lol: