Info about Toilets in Asia

I have spent over 4 months in China and through careful planning, I never had to squat. I gag easily and going in a public toilet is very hard for me so I bought a bracelet made of scented wood which I held to my nose when I had to enter one. I took the sleeper train from HK to Nanjing and noticed that every other car had a western toilet. I noticed some McDonalds had both also.

I think Chinese have lost their sense of smell.

When I spent alot of time in Japan, it took me weeks before I figured out that there was usually one western toilet in the train station restroom. The western toilet in my apt there had a tank top with a little bowl and raised spout. You could wash your hands here after pushing the flush lever and then the water would flow through a hole into the tank. Pretty cool way to save water. Not knowing Japanese, I never did try to use the fancy functions to heat and spray.

In Taiwan I saw a nice, new portipotty with a squatter.

Of course if you don't like to squat, you can always carry around the camp toilet that just has the legs and seat.

More on toilets........http://users.bestweb.net/~bennetc/Toilets.html I like the one in Italy with the weighed seat. They know who is boss!!

Thanks for the laugh, I needed it.

Like many of us I have traveled in China, one of my more memorable experiences was on a hard sleeper train. A squat toilet is difficult, but try it on a moving train.

Lesson learned. Carry extra paper, and the window makes an excellent hand hold.

Welcome, 143Xin ~!!

Great.....

I will be spending the better part of a week on hard bed trains....starting next week... Guangdong and Hunan provinces.... Better work on my aim??

Hey, we have several here from VA, and Jason is from SW VA, I think... Also think they are trying to get together.... maybe check that out?

---Kim

If anybody's interested in Chinese train rides, Paul Theroux wrote "Riding The Iron Rooster". It's a little dated now. Published in 1988 but a very good read (a chapter on train toilets of course). He does China by train top to bottom, and adds a hilarious car ride to Lhasa,Tibet.