Talking about Watermelons

You should try Italian Oranges.... BLOOD RED.... The redder, the better.

There are different varieties of watermellons, and perhaps different growing environment. Most of the ones that my parents would grow in their garden were round, between the size of a cantelope and a basketball.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cqhk,

Another great post ~!

I did grow up pretty much with a free rein, maybe a little like you (did also have to make swim team practice though -- matter of pride!)

--- but what a way to live! sounds wonderful...

My river was the Potomac, since I was born in Washington DC, and from age 10 to graduation from HS --- just had to escape some down to the river...

In the summers, the water level would drop, and "islands" would emerge (mostly just rock outcroppings) -- the water would clear also, and you could see the veins between the rocks where the channel catfish would hang out, and catching them then was easy --- great fish for eating.... Also large and small mouth bass --- bluegills and pumpkinseeds all beautiful fish, and great in a frying pan...

One summer my buddy and I made a raft from three 55 gal. barrels, and poled all over the river! ...discovered so many holes in the river bottom bed rock! Could go back to them, even in high water and aways catch fish!

So cqhk, since you mention rivers, think you must be on Kauai?

---Kim

Kim,

You seem to know quite a bit about Hawaii.

Must have been fun to pole around the river like that, what an adventure. When I was a kid they used to hold river raft races. People had to build their rafts from scratch. I remember seeing a few that were made from the drums, both plastic and metal.

I do know of the Potomac, pops was stationed in Va for two years. I've been to DC several times to site see. I liked the Smithsonian, and going to the top of the Washington Monument. We drove across Cheasepeake Bay's bridge/tunnel a few times too. We thought it was cool, but a little scary when you're a kid with all that water around you.

As far as having a free rein, I guess to an extent. But no mistake about it, my dad ruled with an iron hand. Always asked him first. As long as I was with certain cousins, my dad hardly ever said no. He never worried if I was with his cousin, who is just three years older than me.

I can't wait to introduce my fiancee to the beaches, the valley, and the mountains. She can't swim, but she's not afraid of the water. She's embarassed she can't swim, but I told her it's no big deal because I can teach her how to swim. I know she'll love Hawaii as much as I do.

cqhk,

About the Washington monument, since you mentioned going up to the top...

Last time I did that was when I was in high school, but years before, probably in the early 1950's when I was just 4 or 5, my Grandfather (Mother's side) came to visit, very elderly then, maybe late eighties, and somewhat over weight... Don't know what it like now, but then you could either take the elevator, or walk up the stairs... Naturaly, we took the elevator for Gand dad... But he was otherwise spry and quick.. So we get off the elevator, he looks around for a moment and heads down the stairs.. "Grand Dad! where are you going !" "Hush" ! he tells me.. and disappears a flight or two down the stairs.. At that time there was only one elevator to the top, so it took a while for the elevator to go down and back up.... So Grand Dad timed it just right, when the next load of passengers was brought up to the top, he comes up the stairs, fake huffing and puffing... and several of the people getting off the elevator commented to him: "Wow, you walked all the way up! what an accomplishment! " it was the kind of attention he loved, and kept his sense of humor to the end....

Yeah, Marty,

He died in 1958, I think, and I really have very basic memories about the trip up to the top of the Washington Monument, but my mother loved that story so much that she retold it many times.

Grand Dad had a lot of tallents, and aways claimed to be born in the US -- but had a very strong accent. He felt that boys should have tools, and took me to a hardware store and bought me several tools.... I still have the small vice that he bought for me --- been dragging it around the country since my early 20's.......