U.S. sets new visa schedule

The article can be found at

http://www.sznews.com/szdaily/20040518/ca937078.htm

and this is what it says:

U.S. sets new visa schedule

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2004”N05ŒŽ18“ú 00:37

THE U.S. Embassy in Beijing released a new schedule for visa applications Sunday, indicating officials would accept applications on a walk-in basis, the China Daily reported Monday.

With the information call center for U.S. visas still closed after it was deemed to be operating illegally, the embassy and four consulates in China would begin accepting applications from all comers, embassy officials said.

The call center, which was in charge of scheduling visa appointments and providing general information to the public, closed last month after allegations surfaced about overcharging.

From June 3, the embassy in Beijing would begin accepting visa applicants on a gfirst come, first servedh basis, said Sun Bo, an embassy spokesman.

Bo said bearers of ordinary passports applying for visas for business, tourism and other unofficial business could visit the embassy on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 7:30 a.m.

Public affairs passport holders can approach the embassy Wednesday from 7:30 a.m.

Student and exchange visa applicants, and American Chamber of Commerce applicants can apply for interviews from Monday through Friday after 12:30 p.m.

Sun advised applicants to check the embassyfs Web site frequently for updates on visa application procedures. The Web site is www.usembassy-china.org.cn.

At the moment, U.S. officials are still accepting applications from those who already have scheduled appointments.

Mark and Bea

Well, it looks like that pretty much sums it up.

Anybody other that fiacees and spouses can walk in one day with an application and walk out the next day with a visa.

I wonder how they deal with the FBI Name Check which is supposed to take up to 120 days (or more) to complete??????

---- Clifford -----

I found an announcement last Friday dated 5/13/04 on the US Consulate Shanghai site. It gives the dates that walk in procedures will begin by post locations. Another site I was on (but can't recall) says the Call Center was closed on April 23 in retaliation of the US requiring Chinese vistors be fingerprinted here on arrival. I just joined today- not sure how to put a link in a message YET. Richard

Welcome to our group Chinese wife.

Patrick I would bet that we dump more money into the Chinese economy while waiting than the visitors do while here. If they would shorten up our wait thenwe would spend less there.

here is a link to more info about the start times for this new procedure at the different places. http://www.usembassy-china.org.cn/visa/ind...dex.html#impnts

I'm waiting to see if anyone can confirm that this new system is using up all the staff resources at GZ so there fore none are left to continue processing the K1 K3 Cr1 etc visa's?

I'd also be willing to dig up$50.00 USD to the idiot at GZ who would be... just what word am I looking for kids?? <_< that would confirm this is the truth?

but I digress from the polite conversational tone much beloved by the members here.

Mark and Bea