Hi I am living in Guanxi and my fiance and I were about to file k1 visa.

After speaking to a friend recently we learned k3 is better he claims. Everyone has there 2 cents. so I thought I might ask here.

I kind of know the details of filing either one k1 or K3 as I am about to send my petition off for K1 and have done all the homework at this point. (forms filled, ADIT photos done, letters intent, evidence etc..etc...

But I need a reality check here. Others have said go K3 instead of K1 since I am here with her now and don't plan to leave for another 5 months or so. Is this a mistake. My fiance and I are flexible and we just want the fastest easiest way to do this. K1 or K3.

I will be filing through Vermont. And a DCF is not possible for me since I am on a business visa teaching here in China for the 8 months.

Thanks for any help you can provide

shui niu

My sense is that K-1 vs. K-3 is a coin toss when it comes to processing. Since you're at VSC, the service center processing will be among the fastest anyway.

If I were in your shoes, I would not let possible processing differences dictate. Independently decide if marriage or engagement is right and proceed accordingly.

I used to live in Zhuhai and I got married in China and came back to America and submitted the K3. All I know it's a lot cheaper to get married in China and I don't like big weddings anyway. My brother had a big one in NY and he's still indebt. I knew I loved my wife and she was the one and I'm not one for dating and either was my wife. Whatever you decide make it quick so you can wait forever with rest us.

shui niu,

I would agree that the decision to get married first or later is a very personal choice.

I had anticipated applying for the K1 fiancee visa, then having my fiancee here a few months later. Having her meet my parents. Do some dating and touring together, then assuming everything was peachy, getting married in the USA.

Of course, that was nearly a year and a half ago.

But, I still want both of us to be sure that everything is right before making the final comittment.

As far as better or not????

Speed is about the same. Risk of complications in the processing are about the same. And, I think that overall cost is about the same.

The biggest difference seems to be that the K3 visa gives a multiple entry visa. K1 gives a single entry visa. Thus, if she came in on a K3 visa, she could return to China (or travel elsewhere with you) immediately in case the need arises. With K1, she would have to wait for Advanced Parole which can take anywhere from a month to several months to get.

I am not sure what is required for work authorization for the two.

----- Clifford ----