In-laws visas denied with a good reason

About a week before their interview, my father-in-law heard someone say that the chance of them getting visas was much higher if they had two kids, one of which still lives in China. Yup, Jie, that is right. He mentioned this to my wife's best friend, Yellow Fish but she did not let us know the thoughts going on in his head.

Fast forward to the interview: VO: How many children do you have? Jie: 2. News to my wife. Jie, I will strangle you the next time I see you. Did you stop to think that if this was important, that maybe the information would be on the application sitting in front of the VO?

So, they will be spenting the summer of '04 in the wonderful and famous furnace city of Nanjing instead of the mountains of Co.

I am not angry but dispointed as hell. I was looking forward to showing them around here. We always had such a good time together in China. My wife is accually relieved as she says next summer will be a much better time and I will probably be over a health problem I have now. As always, she is right but I told her we should just apply for a visa for her Mom and let him sweat it another summer. Ah, my sweet kind, Yirong. She would have nothing of it. She says her father has gotten alot smarter and kinder since we were married. And I love the guy. He could have made our life much worse but both parents have been very supportive since we all met. He even got in a fight at work with a guy who was critical of his daughter marrying an American. He had been talking about all the Chinese food he would bring with him until we convinced him that it would not make it thru Customs. He was looking forward to the visit as he had always been a USA buff, reading everything he could get his hands on about America. Oh, well.

Sorry to hear about the problems.

If you want the mother-in-law to come, have her reapply. If she gets a visa, then you can start making a history of her "complying" with the regulations of visiting the USA, then returning to China.

It may cost you the same because your wife might want to fly home, visit the family, then accompany her mother to the USA.

----- Clifford ------

Fast forward to the interview:  VO: How many children do you have?  Jie: 2. News to my wife.  Jie, I will strangle you the next time I see you.  Did you stop to think that if this was important, that maybe the information would be on the application sitting in front of the VO?

Don't be too harsh on your father-in-law.

I am sure he wanted to come visit you and his daughter more than anything in the world. Not being able to come must be so devistating already.

I assume you helped him with the application. And, it is likely that he can read English only slightly better than I can read Chinese :P

Did he even have a copy of the application in Chinese so he really knew the kinds of questions that they would have on the form? And, of course, if the Visa Officer already knew the answer, why would he ask your father in law how many children he had?

I am sure he wanted to come visit you so badly that he made a minor error in judgement. Unfortunately, from what I've seen observed on this board, the Visa Officers can be pretty unforgiving. And, perhaps they should be. If a man is willing to lie about his "Strong Ties" to China, what else is he willing to lie about?

Even with the strict rules, I wonder what the proportion is of older couples that cheat the system and overstay their visas? 1 in a thousand? I guess if a million applied, that would be a lot of people.