How to spend extended time in China as US Citizens?

Hi everyone!

Been awhile since I've been on here.  Thank you all so much as always for your help on navigating the US immigration process.

My wife got US citizenship in May! Yaya! But we're both looking to spend some extended time in China up to a year.  As of right now, we both have Q2 visas and we're considering a Q1.

Do any of yall know if we were to get a Q1 would it cancel our Q2? And how long can we stay in China on a Q1?

Are there better ways for us to stay in China for a longer period of time?

Thanks so much!

I was wondering the same thing, and wanted a Q2 instead of a Q1 the last time I was in the US when my residence permit expired, figuring it would be good to have as a backup visa. They (the consulate told me that no, I wanted a Q1, since I am LIVING in China.

My original 2 year L-visa was NOT canceled in 2010 when I got a residence permit, but they are apparently doing that now - that is, only ONE visa is allowed to remain active.

The Q1 allows ONLY a 30 day stay, during which you must apply for a residence permit. The residence permit does not have a length of stay limitation, but you will need to apply for a new one every one, two, or three years (three years is the longest they will issue - ONLY over the age of 62). If you are staying for LESS than 180 days, they may not renew your residence permit and tell you to get a NEW Q2 (at the overseas consulate) instead.

If you already have a Q2 - there is no reason to apply for a Q1. The Q2 will allow you to enter the country. To stay for LONGER than 180 days, you can ask for an extension at the PSB, OR you can apply for a residence permit which will require the 1, 2, or 3 year renewals, but with no border run required.

In short, if you regularly stay for 180 days or less and only occasionally over the 180 days, stick with the Q2.

For a single one year visit, it may be best to ask (at the PSB) for an extension to cover the entire year. If they say no, you may simply need to make a border run (exit China, then turn around and come back in).

If you want to regularly stay for LONGER than 180 days, buy a residence permit during your next visit. There is no need for a Q1.

A residence permit is simply a visa issued by the PSB Entry and Exit Bureau which does not have a length of stay limitation.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

As always, Randy, you are the guru!

I think this would be an occasionally stay more than the 180 days situation.  So you're saying that once in China, we can just go to the PSB and ask for more time? Or buy a residence permit? Do we need to do anything special or provide documentation for why we want to do that? Or is it typically a pretty easy procedure?

Just to add an odd thing about our Q2s is that they only gave us 120 days of stay. I don't think it will really matter but just thought I'd share that this is a thing they do sometimes

1 hour ago, homerjay1011 said:

As always, Randy, you are the guru!

I think this would be an occasionally stay more than the 180 days situation.  So you're saying that once in China, we can just go to the PSB and ask for more time? Or buy a residence permit? Do we need to do anything special or provide documentation for why we want to do that? Or is it typically a pretty easy procedure?

Just to add an odd thing about our Q2s is that they only gave us 120 days of stay. I don't think it will really matter but just thought I'd share that this is a thing they do sometimes

Yes - they will start out with shorter lengths of stay. You can buy a new Q2, but it's not clear when they would give you the 180 days. You might try asking about that.

But if 120 days "won't really matter", it's not clear why you're thinking of residence permits.

Yes, going to the PSB Entry and Exit Bureau is pretty painless. They'll have the answers for you for your specific situation, including how to extend your stay. The worst case there is that you might have to make a border run.

Applying for a China Residence Permit - CFL topic

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Hey Randy,

Thanks again. After talking with my wife, we may actually choose to go for the residence permit and stay for the almost 1 year it looks like it will get us.  Glad the process if fairly painless! Fingers crossed it goes smoothly for both of us.

Do you know of cases where the child and her husband are US citizens but are able to get the residence permit?

Thanks!

The residence permits would most likely be issued for "family reunion" purposes to all 3 of you. The "family" would have to be Chinese citizens - so, your wife's family. You would have to ask at the PSB if you are eligible - it's best to have the Q2 to fall back on if you are not.