Naturalization Interview?

Hi All,

Wife just got I-797C notice for interview (see attached). We submitted the application early Jan. and the interview date is 5/24. Questions:

1) Is this the "real" interview where they test your citizenship knowledge? The reason I'm asking is the status says we still have 9 months until the case is close. Seems a little early for the test? Earlier we received a "Biometric Reuse" notice saying she does not have to come in for fingerprints etc. 

2) Wife is going to China 5/1 - 5/28, round trip ticket purchased. It's ok to postpone, right?

Anyway, just want to confirm...I think my wife better starts cramming for the test ha.

Thanks!

I-797c interviewRedacted_Redacted.pdf

I can't really help here, but, with the level of CFL traffic these days, we may not hear from someone who can.

Her case will progress on it's own schedule. It is especially in a state of constant flux these days. I don't think there's a reason why they might schedule a second interview.

I expect you won't have any trouble re-scheduling the one interview.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

If all goes well, then there will only be one N400 interview which includes the civics/English test.

Right now processing times are all over the place. People are getting interviews 2 months after submission while other cases are waiting 2+ years for interviews at the same field office. The online time estimates are all over the place. Rumor is USCIS is processing some new cases to bring down their average processing times (on paper).

You can re-schedule the interview, but the new date will be totally at the discretion of USCIS, I've seen interviews rescheduled for one week after the original date, all the way to 12+ months after the original date if things fall through the cracks.

Good luck. 

• Like 1

Reschedule through the web or gotta call? Thanks!

The directions are pretty clear on the I797C, although you may want to check the website to see if it allows for re-scheduling - 

YOU MUST APPEAR FOR THIS APPOINTMENT - However- ifyou are under self-isolation or quarantine, are ill. have any symptoms of illness or are
at heighened risk due to age or an underlying heallh condition and would like lo reschedule your appointment, call the U.S. Citizenship and lmmigration
Services (USCIS) Contact Center at l-800-375 5283 (TTY I 800-767 1833) as soon as possible to reschedule your appointmenl. There is no penallty for requesting that your appointrnent be rescheduled.

lf you are applying for citizenship for yourself. you will be tested on your knowledge of the govemment and history of the United States. You will also be tested on reading, writing, and speaking English. unless on the day you filed your applicalion. you have been living in the United States for a total of at least 20 years as a lawful pernranent resident and are over 50 years old. or you have been living in the United States for a total of 15 years as a lawful permanent resident and are over 55 years old, or unless you have a medically determinable disability. For more inforrnation and to find sludy materials for the naturalization test. visit the Citizenship Resource Certer at uscis.gov/cirizenship.

lf you have any questions or comments regarding this notice or the status of your case. please contact the USCIS Contact Center toll free at
l-800-375-5283.
If you are hearing impaired. please call the USCIS Contact Center TTY at l -800-767- 1833.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)