Hong Kong to Mainland China express trains, experiences?

Hi, Wife's family is from near Nanning. We now have four kids 4-10, living in the US. Want to finally return to see wife's parents. USA to China direct flights still too pricey, but flying to Hong Kong probably within reach. Heard the express trains from Hong Kong to mainland are operating again. Hoping it's allowed to fly to Hong Kong, then take a train to either Nanning or Guangzhou. Experiences? Recommendations. 

True it will be a pain to have to do this extra work, but flights direct to China still 4-7 times more expensive than flying to Hong Kong. Wife is concerned about 48 hours covid test(s). She thought about "waiting until 2024," but I suspect the situation won't be much different then, and my wife's parents are ageing. Need to see them sooner rather than later. We haven't been since 2018. Tried to go early 2020 but the virus stopped us.

My last trip to the US was before the high speed train went to Hong Kong - on the return trip, I crossed the border into Shenzhen via the subway, and then the regular train from there to Yulin.

But looks like the Hong Kong to Nanning route is open. You can take the Airport Express (subway) to the Kowloon high speed train station, which will have a train departing for Nanning East at 15:35.

Or check out flights from Hong Kong to Nanning.

Chinese citizens are allowed up to a 7 day transit through Hong Kong.

Screenshot_20230410_235253_China Trains.jpg

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Birdman,  Hello.  Welcome to Candle.  The fast train should make the ride shorter.  Also probably cheaper.  Not positive but probably.  As far as the covid test, Randy posted recently changes. I dont believe any test is required but perhaps there is some health report that may be needed via wechat.  I heard 2nd hand about this.  It was as the rules were changing a month or so ago.

I was just told.  Hong Kong to Nanning by fast train is less than 4 hours.  And the price is 360 RMB one way.  A plane ticket is more currently more money.  Danb

5 hours ago, danb said:

Birdman,  Hello.  Welcome to Candle.  The fast train should make the ride shorter.  Also probably cheaper.  Not positive but probably.  As far as the covid test, Randy posted recently changes. I dont believe any test is required but perhaps there is some health report that may be needed via wechat.  I heard 2nd hand about this.  It was as the rules were changing a month or so ago.

I was just told.  Hong Kong to Nanning by fast train is less than 4 hours.  And the price is 360 RMB one way.  A plane ticket is more currently more money.  Danb

Dan - I posted the schedule and pricing in the post right above yours. The departures are usually every day, but I only checked the one day so I'm not sure there. Apparently, there's the one departure at 3:35PM.

Actually 4 hrs and 17 mins., although that can vary depending on how many stops along the way.

This was from my China Trains app.

There are Ctrip storefronts in Hong Kong from which tickets can be purchased in advance, or at the train station.

China Trains - 
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.travelchinaguide.chinatrainsV2

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)