What does a Chinese Citizen give up in becoming a US citizen?

14 hours ago, homerjay1011 said:

Essentially, what benefits does maintaining Chinese citizenship have that would be lost?

If you don't need to travel in/out of China regularly, own property, send your kids to public schools, use Chinese banks, public hospitals etc.  then probably none. 

My wife is still keeping her Chinese passport for now, mostly in the event that if something happens to her parents she can (hypothetically) travel back quickly and handle any affairs as a Chinese citizen vs as basically a tourist. 

There could be some pension issues as well but I'm not educated on that.

No problem with owning property, access to banks or public hospitals - but random restrictions on some Chinese "benefits" can be placed by local officials, beginning with whether she is allowed to keep her hukou.

As far as retirement -

Trigg brought it up a few years back - http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/46265-chinese-retirement-income/?p=629409

. . . and john xiaoying had already answered it in an earlier thread from Jan., 2016

On 8/26/2016 at 12:33 PM, Randy W said:

This may help - US Citizenship - Chinese Pension

johnxiaoying said:

The Chinese applicants abroad need to file the proper documents, including a qualification review form.
They also have to submit both the original and a copy of their passport and a certificate of legal residence in the country.
The form is available at Chinese embassies or consulates.
Guan Xinping says making this option available has made things much easier for people living abroad.
"It's much easier for applicants to contact the closest Chinese embassy or consulate than it is to return to China to complete the application."

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Travel to China on the Chinese passport of a naturalized American citizen is dicey - she can ENTER China on that passport, but will then need an exit visa in order to leave. Exiting through Hong Kong might be possible.

If she applies for a Chinese visa in her American passport, the consulate will void her Chinese passport. The hukou is USUALLY not affected.

Our concern is how my wife would inherit assets from her parents one day once she has US citizenship and doesn’t have a houkou. She feels it’s risky to enter w a US passport and then pull out a hukou to do land sales or whatever and then try to get a bunch of cash out of the country. 

Have any members been in that situation?

1 hour ago, lhp said:

Our concern is how my wife would inherit assets from her parents one day once she has US citizenship and doesn’t have a houkou. She feels it’s risky to enter w a US passport and then pull out a hukou to do land sales or whatever and then try to get a bunch of cash out of the country. 

Have any members been in that situation?

That would be a reason to NOT become an American citizen (although I'm not sure that an American citizen would have trouble selling property in China any more than she would as a Chinese citizen). Yes, her hukou COULD be revoked on the spot.

Converting RMB to dollars is another matter. It's been discussed before in CFL topics.

Transferring Money from a Chinese Bank to a US Bank

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)