Yesterday, I was excited to see this article on the internet about the door to China beginning to be opened slightly, maybe.  Here is a link to that article:

https://www.travelinglifestyle.net/china-might-reopen-some-border-regions-for-foreign-tourists/ 

China-Might-Reopen-Border-Regions-For-Foreign-Tourists--768x512.jpg

The article says that travel to China may be possible but it would have to be with a tour group.  Hope to hear more details soon.   I tried to find a link to the China’s Ministry of Culture and Tourism's  website but not much luck so far.  Except for this one which was in Chinese.  Well a glimmer of hope, right? Danb

PS:  A partially google translated article from that site:

The revised draft clarifies that border tourism refers to the travel activities that qualified travel agencies organize and receive citizens of my country and neighboring countries, enter and exit from designated border ports in a team mode, and conduct tourism activities in the border area and time limit agreed by the two governments.

There are 26 articles in the revised draft. The main revisions include implementing the central government’s reform requirements for “delegating power, delegating power, delegating power and improving services”, refining the relevant provisions of the border tourism cooperation agreement, clarifying the approval conditions and procedures of the border agency, and further strengthening the management of the border tourism market.

2 hours ago, danb said:

Yesterday, I was excited to see this article on the internet about the door to China beginning to be opened slightly, maybe.  Here is a link to that article:

https://www.travelinglifestyle.net/china-might-reopen-some-border-regions-for-foreign-tourists/ 

China-Might-Reopen-Border-Regions-For-Foreign-Tourists--768x512.jpg

The article says that travel to China may be possible but it would have to be with a tour group.  Hope to hear more details soon.   I tried to find a link to the China’s Ministry of Culture and Tourism's  website but not much luck so far.  Except for this one which was in Chinese.  Well a glimmer of hope, right? Danb

PS:  A partially google translated article from that site:

The revised draft clarifies that border tourism refers to the travel activities that qualified travel agencies organize and receive citizens of my country and neighboring countries, enter and exit from designated border ports in a team mode, and conduct tourism activities in the border area and time limit agreed by the two governments.

There are 26 articles in the revised draft. The main revisions include implementing the central government’s reform requirements for “delegating power, delegating power, delegating power and improving services”, refining the relevant provisions of the border tourism cooperation agreement, clarifying the approval conditions and procedures of the border agency, and further strengthening the management of the border tourism market.

Yes - they post "glimmers" on pretty much of a continual basis so that people "spread the word" via their social media.

This is simply on an ongoing basis for now.

The Western world is simply finding it VERY difficult to interact with China at anywhere NEAR the level they used to. This will continue for the foreseeable future.

I went back to the China Ministry of Culture and Tourism website.  I guess I had forgotten to list a link to it.  Had a dickens of a time to copy of the listing for the site and the original article.  But if anyone one is interested I got to the site via a Wiki site.  I cut and pasted the site's link below:  

https://zwgk.mct.gov.cn/zfxxgkml/zcfg/zcjd/202209/t20220921_936100.html

BUT i don't think it will work. sorry.

19 hours ago, Randy W said:

There are 26 articles in the revised draft

I guess I was wrong.  It wasn't working went I tried to google that link. Darn Computers!!  

Well anyways.  I am not sure when the borders will open but I wish it is sooner than later.  I am hoping maybe there will be some changes after the annual big meeting  that they have in Beijing in October.  Part of China's economy depends on working and trading with the world.  I think they need to open her border to make that happen.  It would good for her and the outside world.  Danb

• Like 1

from the site - 

标题:
边境旅游管理办法公开征求意见

索引号:
357B36-02-2022-0001
文号:

发布机构:
中国旅游报社
发布日期:
2022-09-21

分类:
政策解读 ;  其他
主题词:
边境旅游管理办法

边境旅游管理办法公开征求意见

发布时间:2022年09月21日

字体:[]

9月16日,文化和旅游部办公厅发布公告称,为推进“放管服”改革、促进边境旅游发展、加强边境旅游管理,文化和旅游部会同外交部、公安部、海关总署、国家移民管理局等部门就《边境旅游管理办法(修订征求意见稿)》(以下简称“修订征求意见稿”)公开征求意见。

修订征求意见稿明确,边境旅游是指符合条件的旅行社组织和接待我国及毗邻国家的公民,采取团队方式从指定的边境口岸出入境,在双方政府商定的边境区域和期限内进行的旅游活动。

修订征求意见稿共26条,主要修改内容包括落实中央“放管服”改革要求、细化边境旅游合作协议相关规定、明确边境社的审批条件和程序、进一步强化对边境旅游市场的管理等。

其中,在落实中央“放管服”改革要求方面,修订征求意见稿落实国务院关于取消“边境旅游项目审批”和“放宽边境旅游管制”的要求,鼓励边境地区打造具有特色的边境旅游目的地,明确边境旅游团队可以灵活选择出入境口岸,并删除了边境旅游审批、就近办理出入境证件等前置条件。同时,明确边境地区的范围按照我国与毗邻国家签署的边界或者边境口岸管理制度协定执行。

在进一步强化对边境旅游市场的管理方面,修订征求意见稿明确了在边境旅游合作协议商定的范围内,多次发生旅游者参与赌博活动的,可以暂停或者终止该区域的边境旅游活动;明确了边境社不得安排旅游者从事“含有淫秽、赌博、吸贩毒内容”“移动、损毁界标和界线辅助设施,损害陆地国界清晰和安全稳定”“帮助他人携带夹藏违禁品的行李物品出入境”等9种活动;明确了不得安排旅游者到国家禁止前往的地区旅游;明确了依法取消边境社边境旅游业务经营资格的4种情形。此外,还明确了边境旅游团队名单表、整团出入境等相关制度。(范朝慧)

相关链接:文化和旅游部办公厅关于公开征求《边境旅游管理办法(修订征求意见稿)》意见的公告

title:
Public comments on border tourism management measures
The index number:
357B36-02-2022-0001
Document number:
Publisher:
China Tourism News
release date:
2022-09-21
Classification:
Policy Interpretation; Other Subject Headings:
Measures for the Administration of Border Tourism
Public comments on border tourism management measures
Release Date: September 21, 2022 Font: [Large Medium Small] Print
On September 16, the General Office of the Ministry of Culture and Tourism issued an announcement stating that in order to promote the reform of "delegating power, delegating power and serving", promoting the development of border tourism, and strengthening border tourism management, the Ministry of Culture and Tourism, together with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Ministry of Public Security, the General Administration of Customs, the State The Immigration Administration and other departments have publicly solicited opinions on the Measures for the Administration of Border Tourism (Revised Draft for Comments) (hereinafter referred to as the "Revised Draft for Comments").

The revised draft clarifies that border tourism refers to the travel activities that qualified travel agencies organize and receive citizens of my country and neighboring countries, enter and exit from designated border ports in a team mode, and conduct tourism activities in the border area and within the time limit agreed by the two governments.

Among them, in terms of implementing the central government’s reform requirements for “delegating power, delegating power, delegating power, delegating power, delegating power, delegating power and improving services”, the draft for comments is revised to implement the requirements of the State Council on canceling “border tourism project approval” and “relaxing border tourism control”, and encourage border areas to create distinctive border tourism destinations. It is clarified that the border tourism team can flexibly choose the entry and exit ports, and the preconditions such as border tourism approval and the nearest entry and exit documents are removed. At the same time, the scope of border areas is clarified in accordance with the border or border port management system agreements signed between my country and neighboring countries.

In terms of further strengthening the management of the border tourism market, the revised consultation draft clarifies that within the scope agreed upon in the border tourism cooperation agreement, if tourists participate in gambling activities for many times, the border tourism activities in the area may be suspended or terminated; it is clarified that The border agency shall not arrange for tourists to engage in "contain obscene, gambling, drug trafficking", "move and damage landmarks and boundary aid facilities, and damage the clarity and security of land borders", "help others to carry luggage containing contraband items", etc. 9 kinds of activities; it is clarified that tourists should not be arranged to travel to areas prohibited by the state; 4 situations are clarified for the cancellation of the border agency's border tourism business qualification according to law. In addition, relevant systems such as the list of border tourism groups and the entry and exit of the whole group have also been clarified. (Fan Chaohui)

Related link: Announcement of the General Office of the Ministry of Culture and Tourism on Publicly Soliciting Opinions on the Measures for the Administration of Border Tourism (Revised Draft for Comments)

Even if they fully re-open the borders tomorrow, I would be shocked if there is anything more than a tiny trickle of tourists coming in. There's just too many obstacles - expensive and limited flight options prone to cancellation, testing requirements, the quarantine-upon-arrival system, QR health codes, mask requirements, and more.

Not to mention the possibility of getting quarantined (possibly in a center) if someone in your building/hotel tests positive, COVID-related closures of tourists attractions, flight cancellations within China due to COVID etc.

We would still go with the intent of making it a 4-6 week trip but I highly doubt there would be many takers if China started issuing tourist visas tomorrow.  

BTW @danb I'm pretty sure Q2 family-visit visas are being issued now, double check with the consulate but if you have family in China I think it is possible to go now.

14 hours ago, Barfus said:

BTW @danb I'm pretty sure Q2 family-visit visas are being issued now, double check with the consulate but if you have family in China I think it is possible to go now.

I have only heard a version of that possibility.  It is done on a case by case bases and a relative in China must be sick.  But I will take at the consulate site tonite.   That would be sweet.  Thanks for the update.  Danb

• Like 2