AOS - Atlanta

I was talking to a friend today who practices immigration law here in Atlanta, and we got on the subject of the processing times for the AOS for K visa holders.

She said that the typical processing time was about six months. :angry:

I said I had heard about waits (Mick) much longer than that. Her response caught me a little off guard. She said that there is an informal priority given to K visas, and her clients get through in about 6 months. She said that every now and then someone takes longer, but it's usually because the processing personnel forgot about the priority processing. She said a few phone calls or follow up were needed to get the applications back on track.

Her advice to me is to make sure the envelope indicates that this is a K visa AOS and that the transmittal letter again indicate that the AOS is for a K visa holder.

I don't think she was trying to get me to use her services, nor do I know how much truth there is in what she said, but I figure it won't hurt to make sure Atlanta knows that the AOS's that I'm filing this week are for K visa holders.

It sounds like a good news. But in fact I heard that most of K-1 applicants in Atlanta have already waited more than 8 months, even now they haven't got interview letters from USCIS. So I can't believe that good news is true. Anyway I wish it's true ...

Yeah, well thanks Frank and I truly appreciate the info but what the lady attorney says doesn't jive with reality. On their web site one month ago, the USCIC said Atlanta was processing applications received July 9, 2001. Today I checked and they are processing April 1, 2001. WTF???? :angry:

Are they going backwards????

We followed all the rules, dotted all the I's and crossed all the T's. We are at ten months and not a peep. Nothing. NADA. And unless you know of one, I am unaware of a phone number that can get directly through to the Atlanta office.

Sorry to sound off, but geeeezzzzzzz......they are going backwards. :o

• 1 month later...
Guest nonoa

i did hear one or two cases in atlanta got approved quite fast a while ago. maybe it is pure luck, but atlanta office is notorious. who knows what is behind it! be patient, guys! and at least you might not need to file 751, which can save you some bucks. best luck!

• 2 weeks later...

For what its worth, when we went to submit our paperwork I asked which center would be processing our forms and the answer I got (as expected) was Atlanta. I asked if we were looking at a two year wait and the officer replied, "I'm afraid so.." She also said it was about 6 months on Advanced Parole, and I'm not sure about the EAD (still waiting).

Amazing! If you live in NC, You can file at Atlanta or Charlotte. Charlotte is up to date at May 2004. That would be a no brainer! My freaking luck though is i am from SC and i can use Charleston or Atlanta. Charleston is backed up to May 2001. On top of all of that, I live 2 1/2 hours from Charlotte, 3 1/2 hrs from Atlanta and 3 1/2 hrs from Charleston.

Amazing! If you live in NC, You can file at Atlanta or Charlotte. Charlotte is up to date at May 2004. That would be a no brainer! My freaking luck though is i am from SC and i can use Charleston or Atlanta. Charleston is backed up to May 2001. On top of all of that, I live 2 1/2 hours from Charlotte, 3 1/2 hrs from Atlanta and 3 1/2 hrs from Charleston.

We need to get all the CFL members together on a project to establish a group home in Vermont where we can all have our official home address for immigration purposes. Somebody can actually live there and receive the mail and forward it to the members.

• 1 month later...

This is primarily for the benefit of us CFLers waiting on Atlanta to get its act together for AOS. While I was standing in line waiting, I read the sign that said something like:

Q. Should I be standing in line?

A. ....Not if you filed your I-485 after July, 2001. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I can't believe that. :( I mailed out the files ( I485, I765, I131 ) in Jan. And I received the receipt on Jan.22.2004. But I didn't receive my Work Permit and Travel Document even now. I called USCIS at the end of May, and they asked me to go to the local office to get the temporary work permit, and they said they will mail the long term work permit to me later. So I did it, and I got the temporary work permit at that time. About the travel document, on the phone USCIS told me to wait 30 days, if I still don't get it, I need to call them again. I waited 60 days, and I got nothing. Even I didn't get the long term work permit. So I called them on Jul.5. The lady I talked to is very nice, she asked me if I have changed my address, I said no. And she said that maybe something is wrong with my case. She ask me to leave my phone number, address, and email address. She said that she would go to check my case status, and she also ask me to call them again if I don't get any information in 30 days.

30 days passed, I still got nothing. I called them on Aug.4. A lady without patience just asked me my case number, and told me that they can't do nothing. I want to ask more, she hung up. I was so angry, and I called them again, this time the other lady talked me, and she told me that my Travel document has already been filed. I told her I didn't receive it, if they can do it again. She said that I need to call them again in a week.

I am so confused, why I have to waste time to call them time and time just for something they should do. :D