I Tried Chinese Confinement After Giving Birth

I'll say just this about her - she's got balls.

I Tried Chinese Confinement After Giving Birth

Join me as I navigate postpartum, the Chinese confinement way with my pui yuet (Confinement Nanny), Carol. These practices are all about taking time to rest and recover a women's body after pregnancy, labour, and childbirth so that the mother has her health and strength to take care of the baby/family in the longterm. In this video we'll explore what "sitting the month" is and how it's modernized, the health benefits, and what life was like living with a Confinement Nanny.

*a little disclaimer.. this is what I chose to do personally, I’m not saying it’s the best way to do things or that you should do it too. Similarly to pregnancy and childbirth, there are many ways to do postpartum possibly connected to science, or culture or tradition with many different services and practices to partake in globally. Do your own research, discuss things with your healthcare provider, and listen to your own gut feeling. Do what feels right for you and your baby.

Taylor R said:

I’m seeing a lot of comments about the “no crying” 😆😭 here’s more on that: In the past Mothers we’re told to rest their eyes so no reading, crying (nowadays the strict traditional pui yuets will say no screens). It stems from traditional Chinese medicine and the belief that the liver is linked to the eyes. It’s said that the large loss of blood during childbirth may weaken the eyes because blood is related to the Liver. We didn’t follow this rule, I believe most don’t nowadays, but things like goji berries were a big part of my diet to help with eye health.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
  • Randy W featured this topic
  • 2 months later...