Oh boy, do I have a story for you.

Randy W

on Quora

Something anyone from China wanting to drive in the US should be aware of.

When a cop pulls you over in the USA, is it illegal for you to get out of the car? Should you wait for the police to come to you and ask you for your license/insurance/registration?

https://qr.ae/pG6uFv

57736585-C1F2-49E2-BF77-651EE1B940D2-484

Oh boy, do I have a story for you.

A few years ago, a distant relative from China brought his wife and kid to the US to visit a friend. Afterwards, he rented a car and drove around with his family for some sightseeing. I think it’s somewhere west…

Anyway, a police car pulled him over (probably for speeding). He then got out of the car to “greet and say hello to the cop”. Later I asked why he did that, the reason was “I didn’t know the right etiquette there but it felt disrespectful to stay in the car and do nothing”. His wife and 9-year old son also got out to “say hello to American uncle police”.

Next thing he knows, he was staring down the barrel of a gun and being screamed at with things he did not understand. Fortunately, with his extremely limited English and good choices of gesture, he calmed the police officer down. He even ended up without a ticket.

So… don’t worry about if it’s legal, just stay in the car.

No surprise, my relative asked me about the reason for the police reaction. I then explained to him about how guns are a lot more accessible in the US than in China. He replied:

Yeah, I get that. But did he really think I brought my wife and 9-years old to start a firefight with him?

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)