Old China In The Lens Of Sarkisian

Stored in a basement in Denver for 70 years and never seen until 2021, hundreds of images taken by Harold Medill Sarkisian documented street life in 1930s and 1940s China.

from Photography of China on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/photographyofchina/posts/6493249050747664

Chengdu_17002_d.jpg

Old China In The Lens Of Sarkisian

ZaGuNao_23005_a-Edit.jpg?format=750w

A few years ago, Jules Nadeau delighted me with the unheard story of an antique and rug dealer who traveled extensively in Asia in the 1940's. It was an engaging topic we discussed every time we had hot capuccinos together. My friend writer has tons of archives about the long life of Harold Medill Sarkisian. More exciting for me, the well-traveled scholar took some amazing photos while he was stationed in China. Being deeply interested in old photography, especially Chinese pics, I had a look at his material of the last century. It's totally fascinating!

I started to scan the best shots to see if I have enough of them to publish a book about these old pictures. And eventually, set up a series of "Sarkisian Exhibitions". Stored in a basement in Denver for 70 years and never seen until 2021, hundreds of images document a period of great hardship and resistance of the Chinese people. 

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
  • 1 year later...
9 hours ago, GeorgeRoard said:

As the world shifts towards a more sustainable future, Chinese EV startups like NIO, XPeng, and BYD are making waves in the automotive industry. With their innovative technologies and sleek designs, these companies are challenging traditional automakers and gaining traction in the global market.

banned for NI - NON-Intelligent AI.