Possible update on doors opening for travel, maybe?

Here is an article that I read yesterday.  It offers some hope, maybe:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/china-places-over-9-000-tourists-into-quarantine-after-covid-cases-discovered-nearby/ar-AAQy3ec

In the article it stated that Gao Fu, from China's CDC indicated when the door to China might be opened.  It said:

" The head of China's Center for Disease Control, Gao Fu, recently suggested that the country could open up once it's 85 percent vaccinated."

I googled Gao Fu and found another article that said almost the same thing.  Here is a link to that article:

https://thediplomat.com/2021/11/as-other-countries-try-living-with-covid-19-china-keeps-up-zero-tolerance/

In that article it said that he said:

But the head of China’s Center for Disease Control, Gao Fu, recently suggested the country could open up once it is 85 percent vaccinated – a sign the government is aware that at least some are eager for that. "

Recently I have ben talking to a friend of mine.  Neither one of us,  had a WAG when China might opened her doors to us.  Well at least now we can say that: " he said, she said" maybe.  Lets hope there is some truth the statement.  DanB

There is ALWAYS hope, always someone to say, "Maybe".

The evolution of the delta variant has shown that vaccination is not the complete answer, unless they can choke off the evolution of the virus.

I have also heard that some Western universities in China are emailing their students to prepare to return next year (in March).

I doubt that much will happen toward that end until the rest of the world gets the pandemic under control.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

My wife and I are fully expecting to NOT go back to China in 2022.

There hasn't been a single thing China has done to make re-entry easier since the pandemic started. I've now heard "China will open up when X condition is met" a dozen times over the past 18 months, and things have only gotten more difficult.

Quarantine times have gotten almost comically long. The limited amount of international flights have again been reduced by 20% through March 2021. Foreign immediate relatives like spouses/children are still totally locked out. Getting PU letters for work visas is getting more difficult with some provinces no longer issuing them at all. Lockdowns and mass testing can still crop up at any time (look at what happened in Disney recently). Passport renewals for Chinese citizens have gotten more difficult as well. The writing is pretty clearly on the wall as to the direction in which things are heading.

China is all in on a zero Covid strategy. AFAIK there has been zero deviation from that via gov't sources. There have been some soundbites here and there but nothing official. 

• Like 1

"My wife and I are fully expecting to NOT go back to China in 2022." 

When this started a few years ago I thought things would be under control by the end of first year.  I thought I would be able to return the next Christmas.   Boy was I wrong.  It keeps dragging on.  In the beginning iIwas wonder how many waves there was going to be. I though two maybe three.  Boy, again I was wrong again.  I was really hoping the Chinese would surely open her doors for the Winter Olympics.  Boy, wrong again.

Both of the article that I posted say that according to Gao Fu that China is at 77% vaccinated and that door might opening when 85 % of her people are fully vacinated.  I quote, " Gao Fu, recently suggested that the country could open up once it's 85 percent vaccinated. "  I wonder when that will be?  I tried to get some more information.  I googled Gao Fu name.  Didn't find any more recent articles by or about him.

If China is at 77% and we are only at about 58.5%, the end seems pretty far away.  When will this nightmare end?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, danb said:

"My wife and I are fully expecting to NOT go back to China in 2022." 

When this started a few years ago I thought things would be under control by the end of first year.  I thought I would be able to return the next Christmas.   Boy was I wrong.  It keeps dragging on.  In the beginning iIwas wonder how many waves there was going to be. I though two maybe three.  Boy, again I was wrong again.  I was really hoping the Chinese would surely open her doors for the Winter Olympics.  Boy, wrong again.

Both of the article that I posted say that according to Gao Fu that China is at 77% vaccinated and that door might opening when 85 % of her people are fully vacinated.  I quote, " Gao Fu, recently suggested that the country could open up once it's 85 percent vaccinated. "  I wonder when that will be?  I tried to get some more information.  I googled Gao Fu name.  Didn't find any more recent articles by or about him.

If China is at 77% and we are only at about 58.5%, the end seems pretty far away.  When will this nightmare end?

Even if China "opens up" I think there's a good chance the quarantine isn't going anywhere. Right now I believe it's 21 days in a hotel/facility + some time at home, though this varies by region. This makes any short trip less than a month long basically impossible.

BTW Shenyang now requires 28 days in a hotel + 28 days at home, that's basically two months of quarantine! See: https://www.independent.co.uk/asia/china/china-shenyang-covid-quarantine-rules-b1955737.html

Yes - there are Facebook groups LITTERED with "When will China open?" questions and articles that "offer hope" and the sarcastic responses to the poster.

This is the article in the SCMP about the emails sent to foreign students

Universities tell stranded international students to prepare for return to campus in China

• Duke Kunshan University and New York University Shanghai have both sent out emails saying they could be allowed back in time for next semester
  • Borders have been closed to most foreigners since March 2020 and no official announcement has been made on reopening to international students

But, as the article states -

But at present, the only international students receiving China visas are from South Korea, after the two countries agreed in July last year to resume issuing student visas. South Koreans make up about 10 per cent of China’s international students.
China’s foreign ministry did not respond to a request for comment.

and

Staff at Chinese universities, including Peking University in Beijing and Fudan University in Shanghai, said they were unaware of any plan for international students to be allowed into the country.

• 1 year later...

I wanted to start a new topic about finally the doors opening up to China.  I could swear I read a couple of stories about that earlier today. I went to quote them but now I either can't find them or maybe can't access them now.  I do not subscribe to SCMP. Things are supposed to happen on Jan 8.  They talked about the government increasing the number of planes that can fly in and out of China. That should help bring down the price of airplane tickets.  Also the required quarantine to enter into China may be done away with.  I thought there was something about visa for China were going to be processed again, was mentioned but I can't recall the exact wording,

I am going to look around for the the door opening stories  and when I finds them I will post the links.   I hope this is not just some more wishful thinking.  Danb

https://www.facebook.com/groups/going2china/posts/5615103911951267/

1. Who'll be able to enter China on January 8, 2023?
  • ✅ Hong Kong residents and all the valid visa holders. Whether people holding 10 year multiple entry visa before the pandemic can enter or not, it is not specified. But we don't think it is possible yet.
2. When will China allows international travelers?
  • ✅ It'll depend on what types of visa travelers holding. For L visa (tourist visa), we estimate it'll be around some time before Summer Holiday.
    ✅ Good news is that 24/72/144-hour transit visa-free policy will be effected on January 8, 2023 at the same time.
3. What typse of Chinese visas you can apply for from January 8?
4. China Travel Restrictions 2023 & Travel Advisory [Updated December 27, 2022].

China Travel Restrictions & Travel Advisory (Updated December 27, 2022)

from China Highlights

be7c521b501b4742b161f129_cut_800x500_349

Although there has been no official information on when China will open its borders, we predict that China may open up in 2023, more likely in the second quarter, according to some signals:

1. Health codes and negative nucleic acid test results are not required for domestic travel from December 7th, 2022.

2. Quarantine and PCR test will no longer be needed upon entering China after January 8th, 2023. Just one PCR test within 48 hours before departure. 

3. Entry requirements have been simplified: the requirement for a PU letter for work visas is no longer in force, and student visas and family reunion visas are now being processed again.

4. Flight options have also been changed from not allowing transfers to multiple stops permitted. The flight circuit-breaker mechanism (temporarily banning flights with too many COVID cases) has also been canceled.

. . . and from the Global Times (CFL link)

http://candleforlove.com/forums/topic/50020-covid-19-in-china/page/42/#comment-650469

China to downgrade management of COVID-19 from Class A to Class B from January 8

By GT staff reporters

. . . and the SCMP version

Coronavirus: Hong Kong drops on-arrival PCR tests and vaccine pass, while city leader ‘disappointed in Japan’ over flight curbs

• John Lee also weighs in on latest flight restrictions to Japan, says authorities will communicate with country’s consulate on matter
  • Further easing of curbs come on back of China’s planned reopening next month

44d5084e-6e7f-4996-94f8-5efc90d6ba9f_459

This story has been made freely available as a public service to our readers. Please consider supporting SCMP’s journalism by subscribing.