Where does my wife go in NY to get green code to get on plane to China?

I used to search flight prices but now I found out you have to have a green code to get on the plane to even go to China. Let alone at least two weeks quarantine there. Where does my wife go in New York to get the green code to get on the plane? She has been vaccinated against covid. The health dept here never heard of green code. Called China Southern and their policy is she needs to have green code and if she misses flight we pay not the airline. Anyone here live in NY and have access to where to go. She is taking a 10 hour bus ride and has a long layover if same as last time. Married for over 9 years.

If she is a Chinese citizen, she needs to use a mini-app inside WeChat to get the code, after she gets the results of her tests. This page from the Chinese consulate New York has the scannable code to open the mini-app, and one of the documents linked at the end lists the two labs that can be used to do the tests in New York.

Thanks. Another person I know sent me a screenshot but my we chat does not have it. In 9 years I have never known my wife to be able to do anything. May have  take a trip to NY to find out where to go. Embassy does not answer phone calls or email. Need someone in NY to help me. Wife refuses to let me talk to anyone. I would like to see her get on an airplane.

Edited by benhad901 (see edit history)

Try the AliPay app also. That's where my green code is. But the "health code" app may not be accessible outside of the Great Firewall. I have to turn off the VPN to get there. I'm not seeing the Health Code app under WeChat either.

Alipay home screen.jpg

My green code says "no vaccines", although the second button takes you to the "vaccination record".

My wife may need to figure out why the green code is wrong.

My green code.jpg

vaccinations redacted.jpg

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

You obtain it from the embassy online. See - 

(I'll have to see if I can obtain my "vaccinated" green code this way - nope. It needs the test results.)

2020/11/23

As from 0:00 on December 1, 2020 Pacific Time, the Chinese Embassy/Consulates General will issue QR code with "HDC" mark for foreign passengers who are to fly from the U.S. to China. Foreign passengers can apply for the QR code with "HDC" mark by logging on the website of https://hrhk.cs.mfa.gov.cn/H5/ via computer or smart phone. The passengers can fill in their information, declare their health status and upload the test certificates, passports, itinerary and other documents as required online, which will then be examined and verified by the Chinese Embassy/Consulates in the U.S. Upon approval, they will receive the QR code with "HDC" mark. Foreign passengers must present the electronic or printed code, and follow the procedures for inspection by relevant airlines during boarding. For test requirements please read the Embassy notice on 29th October 2020 carefully.

Chinese passengers (including passengers from Hong Kong SAR, Macao SAR and Taiwan) should still apply for the green health code with "HS" mark via the WeChat Health Code app.

Transitional arrangement: As from 0:00 on December 1, 2020 Pacific Time, the Chinese Embassy/Consulates in the U.S. will no longer issue the stamped Health Declaration Form through emails. However, foreign passengers who already have the valid Health Declaration Form issued by the Embassy/Consulates do not need to apply for the QR code with "HDC" mark once again. They can still use the Health Declaration Form for boarding. The emails or online upload methods previously published by Chinese Embassy/Consulates on Oct.29 will stop issuing the HDF since Dec.1.

3 hours ago, benhad901 said:

Thanks. Another person I know sent me a screenshot but my we chat does not have it. In 9 years I have never known my wife to be able to do anything. May have  take a trip to NY to find out where to go. Embassy does not answer phone calls or email. Need someone in NY to help me. Wife refuses to let me talk to anyone. I would like to see her get on an airplane.

I'm assuming she's a Chinese citizen? In WeChat she should do "Scan", and scan this:

W020210910169658633639.jpg.a1a26e7994461dcf36ff6b5ceab775bc.jpg

Alternately, in WeChat she can search for "防疫健康码国际版" and it should show up as one of the results.

I am not really sure what is the difference between the WeChat mini-app for Chinese citizens and the website for foreigners.

Edited by newacct (see edit history)

Outside of China, even Chinese citizens need to obtain the green code from the embassy. Documents can be submitted via email (and are reviewed by the embassy staff), and the code is returned via email (maybe via the WeChat app for Chinese citizens).

HDC stands for Health Declaration Code. See the embassy link I provided earlier.

28 minutes ago, newacct said:

I'm assuming she's a Chinese citizen? In WeChat she should do "Scan", and scan this:

W020210910169658633639.jpg.a1a26e7994461dcf36ff6b5ceab775bc.jpg

Alternately, in WeChat she can search for "防疫健康码国际版" and it should show up as one of the results.

I am not really sure what is the difference between the WeChat mini-app for Chinese citizens and the website for foreigners.

Now that I've looked more closely, it looks like the two (my link and your QR code), for Chinese citizens, may end up at the same place. Either way, just follow through with what they tell you to do.

I can't do that here in China, since I don't have any test results to submit.

Notice on Airline Boarding Requirements for Certificates of Negative Nucleic Acid and Anti-Body Blood Tests Results

Passengers bound for China via direct flights must take nucleic acid and IgM anti-body tests at a testing institution in the U.S. within 48 hours before boarding. Upon receiving the certificates of negative results of both tests, they need to submit them to the Chinese Embassy/Consulates (based on the consular district of the testing place) and apply for a green health code with the "HS" mark or a certified health declaration form.

Passengers bound for China via connecting flights must take nucleic acid and IgM anti-body tests in the U.S. within 48 hours before boarding, and then take both tests a second time in their last transit country within 48 hours before boarding the plane to China. Passengers must apply from the Chinese Embassies/Consulates in BOTH countries (the U.S. and the last transit country) for green health codes with the "HS" mark or certified health declaration forms with their certificates of negative results of both tests.

Thank you. My original post was on a different email. Wife is Chinese citizen. Our communication is still bad. So today she says she knows about the we chat green code. I call it green code. She says her Chinese WeChat is an American Chinese program and does not have it. Since the 48 hour timeframe and we live in Tennessee I have no idea where to get tested. The health department has not heard of it. I found that strange as a lot of people travel. I thought if I asked here someone may know where to go in New York. She will most likely go through NY. I thought it would be easy to ask wife for friends NY phone or WeChat. Nope will not let me talk to anyone. She lost all her id and bank info and made friends in NY and Washington DC while I struggle to figure out where to go. Thanks for the replies. Now I know she needs different WeChat. Where to go and the process to get on a plane is still a mystery. I am guessing it is a COVID test and they jam something up your nose.

1 hour ago, Dan777 said:

Thank you. My original post was on a different email. Wife is Chinese citizen. Our communication is still bad. So today she says she knows about the we chat green code. I call it green code. She says her Chinese WeChat is an American Chinese program and does not have it. Since the 48 hour timeframe and we live in Tennessee I have no idea where to get tested. The health department has not heard of it. I found that strange as a lot of people travel. I thought if I asked here someone may know where to go in New York. She will most likely go through NY. I thought it would be easy to ask wife for friends NY phone or WeChat. Nope will not let me talk to anyone. She lost all her id and bank info and made friends in NY and Washington DC while I struggle to figure out where to go. Thanks for the replies. Now I know she needs different WeChat. Where to go and the process to get on a plane is still a mystery. I am guessing it is a COVID test and they jam something up your nose.

Again . . . 

Passengers bound for China via direct flights must take nucleic acid and IgM anti-body tests at a testing institution in the U.S. within 48 hours before boarding. Upon receiving the certificates of negative results of both tests, they need to submit them to the Chinese Embassy/Consulates (based on the consular district of the testing place) and apply for a green health code with the "HS" mark or a certified health declaration form.

So you KNOW where to get  the green code. What you need to figure out is where to go in New York (or Tennessee) for the Nucleic acid and IgM Anti-Body Tests.

Ask for THAT at your local public or private hospitals or testing agencies. I would think Google would be a BIG help there. The consulate may have recommendations also.

The date of the testing/sampling time should be within 2 days before the departure date. If she's leaving anytime Wednesday (for example), the test must be performed anytime Monday or Tuesday.

The HDC green code issued is for travelers from foreign countries, and is NOT the same thing as the green codes issued within China.

Follow through the links we've provided to familiarize yourself with the process, but the actual testing can ONLY BE DONE WITHIN 2 DAYS OF DEPARTURE.

Foreign passengers can apply for the QR code with "HDC" mark by logging on the website of https://hrhk.cs.mfa.gov.cn/H5/ via computer or smart phone. THIS LINK IS FOR BOTH FOREIGN NATIONALS AND CHINESE NATIONALS.

There's this from the New York Chinese consulate.

2021/02/17

Starting from 0:00, February 18, 2021 Pacific Time, the Consulate General of the People's Republic of China in New York will only accept the Covid-19 nucleic acid and IgM serum antibody test reports issued by one of the attached listed laboratories, which are based on samples collected by relevant designated agencies. Reports issued by non-designated laboratories or based on samples collected by non-designated agencies will not be accepted by the Consulate.

The issuance of health code is contingent on multiple factors, and is not guaranteed even if test reports are provided by the listed laboratory. The Consulate once again strongly recommends travelers avoid all non-essential and non-urgent travels to China during the pandemic.

The Consulate will adjust or update the list of designated facilities depending on the testing quality. Please pay close attention to the latest updates from this Consulate.

Here's the appendix - 

Appendix:

On 9/23/2021 at 7:36 AM, Dan777 said:

It works in the WeChat that you get from the US (iOS or Android) app stores. The mini program inside WeChat is called "防疫健康码国际版" (Chinese for "Epidemic Prevention Health Code International Version"). Perhaps she could be confusing it with a different health code program?

• 1 month later...