8/8 - Upgraded to IPB Version 4.7.2 (and holding)

Version 4.7.4 of Invision Community is now available

This is our November maintenance release.

Key changes include:

Also included: 4.7.3

This is our October maintenance release.

Key changes include:

Updates to the Calendar App (now Events app) to showcase online and offline events

Also included: 4.7.2.1

This is our September maintenance release.

Key changes include:

PHP 8 Marketplace app/plugin Compatibility Scanner (please read before upgrading)
Improvements to marking posts as solutions

HostGator support says:

And I've checked the server here and it is not yet updated, and the latest php version is 7.4. We have been planning PHP upgrades throughout this year, but unfortunately that version of PHP is not yet available for your server. Since, implementing new software versions can result in instability, we want to make sure the version of PHP is stable and that it's implement with the least amount of issues to customers. Once, your account is ready to go through this update, you should receive an email notification outlining the upgrade window starting date, as well as any information that you may need to know.

We dont have a specific timeframe on this but there are couple of servers already that we updated, and the updates on the remaining servers are still on-going.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)
  • 3 months later...

PHP 8.0 is still not available on our HostGator server. I have been checking in with HostGator support regularly with no further word on when they might get around to it.

I just recently posted to IPB support, who responded

It's disappointing to hear that a hosting service will not update to a supported version of PHP promptly. Anything before 8.0 is not supported any more, and 8.0 itself is only having security support for the next 8 months at the time of writing this post.

If you want a seamless experience and avoid the hassle of the backend altogether, definitely consider our Cloud.

There are plenty of articles about HostGator and their parent company at the moment. I would highly recommend reading up on them just for some background on why things like this are happening to their clients.

I'll look into changing our host provider, but we really don't have a NEED to upgrade as long as we can stick with our current configuration.

I would also first like to ascertain the ownership of the candleforlove.com URL - I'd hate to have that dropped somehow in a transfer.

• 1 month later...

HostGator won't talk to me - Dan is the owner of record, but has gone radio-silent (no response, although he has gotten my messages), and has not been on the site since last August. He IS paying the bills, but it's unclear how long we can survive without a PHP 8.0 upgrade.

Version 4.7.9 of Invision Community is now available

This is our April maintenance release.

Key changes include:

Also included: 4.7.8

. . .

Also included: 4.7.7

. . .

Also included: 4.7.6

. . .

Also included: 4.7.5

. . .

Also included: 4.7.4

. . .

. . .

Also included: 4.7.2.1.

. . .

• Randy W changed the title to 8/8 - Upgraded to IPB Version 4.7.2 (and holding)
  • 4 weeks later...

Hostgator is still sitting on it, but has promised to "escalate" the issue. Hopefully, they will do that before we are cut off again.

Version 4.7.11.1 of Invision Community is now available and includes a security update

This is an essential security and maintenance update. Including improvements for our recently release PII & Statistics features.

Also included: 4.7.11

This is our June maintenance release.

Also included: 4.7.10

This is our May maintenance release.

Also included: 4.7.9

This is our April maintenance release.

Also included: 4.7.8

This is our March maintenance release.

Also included: 4.7.7

This is our February maintenance release.

Also included: 4.7.6

This is our January maintenance release.

Also included: 4.7.5

This is our December maintenance release.

Also included: 4.7.4

This is our November maintenance release.

This is our October maintenance release.

Also included: 4.7.2.1

This is our September maintenance release.

• Confused 1

They have finally responded -

However, we do have newer servers that offer 8.2 PHP version. If you want, we can move your account to the new server with CentOS 7. This will require you to change servers and update your DNS to the new server once completed. Please reply to this email with your confirmation message in the case you wish to have the PHP version 8.1 installed server to host your websites. We'll be happy to help you.

But the CFL domain name account is with GoDaddy and still in Carl's name. We are not sure how, but it is being renewed every year in September, whether by automatic payments from an account of Carl's carried over to his widow, or through pre-payment.

As long as it is still in Carl's name, we will be unable to change the DNS.

It is the responsibility of the estate to cancel ongoing payments, but we need to get that to stop.

• Sad 1
4 hours ago, Randy W said:

They have finally responded -

But the CFL domain name account is with GoDaddy and still in Carl's name. We are not sure how, but it is being renewed every year in September, whether by automatic payments from an account of Carl's carried over to his widow, or through pre-payment.

As long as it is still in Carl's name, we will be unable to change the DNS.

It is the responsibility of the estate to cancel ongoing payments, but we need to get that to stop.

Thanks Randy for all the hard work keeping this site up and running. Let me know if I can be of any help.  Losing the 20+ years of content on here would be a huge bummer.

• Thanks 1

Well, the biggest stumbling block at the moment would be recovering the candleforlove.com domain name. This will most likely involve 3 months where that domain is not available.

Basically, no one has access to Carl's account with GoDaddy. All we can do is wait for the payments to stop, and then be ready to recover the name once  it is released.

• Like 1

One thing in our favor is that I expect we are fine the way we are. As long as the PHP version is NOT updated and we DON'T try to update our IPB version, I'm pretty sure we can just operate the way we are. No guarantees there, however.

It is necessary, though, to figure out HOW the domain name is renewed each year, and to make sure that Carl's widow Bing ISN'T paying for it.

• 1 month later...

Contacted them again. It sounds to me like they have NO INTENTION of ever upgrading our present server, instead requiring that we move to a NEW server.

Doing so would require that we change our IP address to the new server. The problem with that is that it is still owned by Carl, and somehow keeps getting renewed every year.

• Like 1